Help v7 wont let me doing anything else on computer

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Help v7 wont let me doing anything else on computer

Postby 7im » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:07 am

P5-133XL wrote:...

The newest GPU drivers is not inherently the best anti-lag solution.

No, of course not. It's partly true, partly a diagnostic method, partly a fix. As you said, it's no faster, but no slower. Diagnostic in that the act of upgrading often fixes a few problems missed the first time around, and assures a known base to trouble shoot from. And at the very least, the latest version doesn't have that problem of crashing when the monitor goes in to standby mode like less recent versions had.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby bruce » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:10 am

I have recently configured a system with two GPUs. It's an old system with an AGP slot and an (older) unsupported GPU which I use for my screen. (I'm not a gamer, so it's fast enough for what I do.) I added a supported GPU without a monitor and I fold on it. I have not noticed any lags. This probably won't work for you, but I though I'd mention it anyway.
bruce

Postby Far-N-Wide » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 pm

I am using FAHControl: v7.1.52 as GPU only, on a GTX 260 5 year old Intel duel core CPU, with 2 Gigs of DDR2 RAM. Is there a GPU client that allows for gaming with out having to pause or start this or that?
Far-N-Wide

Postby P5-133XL » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:18 pm

no, not really. The video subsystem was never designed for multiple applications such as gaming and folding simultaneously and as such has issues with resource conflicts. You are better off just pausing folding before gaming and un-pausing when done..
P5-133XL

Previous

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux