Win7 Freezing

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Win7 Freezing

Postby MarcusZ2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:34 pm

My config is:
AMD Athlon II X4 635, 6GB RAM, GeForce 315 video card. Neither is overclocked.

My computer freezes after differing amounts of time. The only recourse is to shut down the computer and restart it. I've had to rebuild the C: drive several times and the computer runs flawlessly for a month or so after each rebuild. Then it starts freezing again, seemingly after increasingly shorter amounts of time. The computer is not overheating - the MCPU runs at ~47 degrees C and the NVIDIA GPU runs at ~55 degrees C. The computer runs Spyware Terminator 2102 and Avast free. I run Kerpenky TDSS Killer daily.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
MarcusZ2

Re: Win7 Freezing

Postby jimerickson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:27 pm

drive going bad??
jimerickson

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Mark!

That does seem like odd behavior. Obviously it shouldn't be doing that, but how do you know that it's related to V7? You restart your computer once a month? And when it freezes, does the mouse even work?
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby MarcusZ2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Jim,
No as I'm swapping C drives! What I do is I install a "fresh" drive and build Win7. Then I add apps. I then reconnect the "old" drive (SATA) and wipe it clean. I then copy the win7 set up files from the "recovery" folder on the "fresh" drive.

I think I'll put all of my apps on the internal drive that stores my pix and tunes.
MarcusZ2

Postby MarcusZ2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Jesse,
The computer runs fine for a month after rebuilding. Then it starts freezing; this requires a power down restart. Yes the mouse works when the computer freezes. But clicking on an icon results in the rotating arrow.
MarcusZ2

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:00 pm

MarcusZ2 wrote:Jesse,
The computer runs fine for a month after rebuilding. Then it starts freezing; this requires a power down restart. Yes the mouse works when the computer freezes. But clicking on an icon results in the rotating arrow.

Hmm. Sometimes I run into similar behavior after several weeks without a restart, and I suspect that it's related to GPU folding. Since I restart my computer about once a week, it's now very rare that I run into this problem. Perhaps if you restarted your computer every couple of weeks or so, you'd avoid the freeze-up.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby jimerickson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:00 pm

i would run memtest. but thats just me.
jimerickson

Postby 7im » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Memtest is good.

How old is the power supply?

Is the system protected by a UPS or surge suppressor?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:23 pm

There are really to0 many possible causes for this problem to count. The failure of the file system is typically a cumulative event and for diagnosis you need to have a reproducible failure. you can test individual systems like memory but virtually every system inside a machine (as well as software) could actually be causing it so it is going to be a very hard diagnosis.

My best suggestion at this point is to examine the Windows event logs and see if there are disk errors or delayed write errors first. Then I'd make sure that any other Windows errors are fully dealt with and all the device drivers don't have any problems so that you know you have a totally working OS then monitor those event logs regularly and do very regular chkdisks until something shows up and then act immediately to deal with whatever the problem is. Repeat until enough time has gone by that you feel that the system is long-term stable again.

It is unlikely that this is a folding problem but it may be aggravated by folding. So you way wish to stop folding till you can ID the problem or you way wish to fold more to increase the stress on the machine. Either is a valid choice.
P5-133XL

Postby Nathan_P » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 pm

I have to agree with P5, this is not being caused by folding in itself but folding is aggrevating the situation, When i folded with GPU's i used to leave my machine running for months at a time without issue. It sounds to me like its motherboard, hard disk or PSU failing on you.

What motherboard and p[su areyou using and how old are they?
Nathan_P

Postby MarcusZ2 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:05 pm

The problem turned out to be Spyware Terminator 2012! I uninstalled and installed another spychecker. Worx great now!!
MarcusZ2

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux