Client Closes Once a Day

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Client Closes Once a Day

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 am

Not a flag. Run a client with the help flag to see all flags.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby labnjab » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Now I'm wondering it maybe it is a stability issue and it just doesn't throw a code for one. Another member on my team said he was having similar issues and it wasn't throwing any codes, so he he dropped his clocks on a whim and hasn't had the issue since. Rather then drop the clock, I bumped up vcore and vccio a notch. Its 5:40 now and no shutdown so I'll see if its fixed soon.
labnjab

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm

If you are not on a UPS, maybe the local power grid has an event each day at about that time. A slight power dip could be just enough to affect an overclocked PC close to the edge of stability.
7im

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 pm

If you're overclocking, be sure your hardware is stable with StressCPU which uses the actual Gromacs calculation loops so it validates stability under conditions most closely representing FAH. (You'll still need to validate memory stability with one of the traditional software benchmarks.)
bruce

Postby labnjab » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm not on a UPS so thats a possibility.

I stress tested for 24 hours with prime 95 in Windows when I first built the computer so it should be stable. It didn't close since Monday afternoon so I though bumping vcore fixed it, but I woke up this morning and it wasn't running again like before. Luckily it was only down for 10 minutes so I didn't loose any time. The odd thing is my main computer had restarted this morning for updates around the same time so now I'm starting to wonder if they're some how connected, although I don't know how because HFM is just used to monitor the dedicated and isn't used to control it, but could windows shutting down on the main rig, cause the FAH client to close on the dedi? The other few times its closed my main computer was down at the same, or similar time
labnjab

Postby Jesse_V » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Labnjab, speaking of Prime95, please see the last section on this page: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-BestPractices
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby labnjab » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:55 pm

I did not know that, i always thought prime stressed it more then anything because my cpu gets 20 degrees warmer running. Ill run stress cpu tonight. Does stress cpu work on linux? I dont have windows on this computer anymore.

In the mean time ill bump up vcore a little more, i bumped it up a little a few days ago and that stopped it from happening every day.
labnjab

Postby Joe_H » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Prime95 may stress your CPU, but it does not use the same pathways as folding. StressCPU is listed as available for linux in the Tools List here - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby 7im » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:18 pm

IBT uses a version of LinPack to stress the CPU. You can run a LinPack test directly in Linux.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/High-Performance-Linpack-1396.shtml/

Note this is a very powerful testing app. I recommend downclocking some before starting, and then working your way up.

OCCT also has a live version that boots from a USB stick in to a Windows Dev environment and runs stress tests that way. Works on any box and OS that way...
7im

Postby labnjab » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:07 pm

I bumped up vcore and stress tested over night and fired the client up late morning. My clients just shut down again and I now know for sure it can't be a stability problem. I just watched both my dedi and main rig smp v7 clients go down at the exact same time (within seconds of each other). The main rig is linux vm v7 and the dedi is native linux v7. Just the clients shut down and nothing else and my gpu in the main rig kept on folding
labnjab

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:17 pm

You can not test folding stability issues using a something other than folding and have a valid result. There are too many differences. The best you can get is a possibility based on assumption that the non-folding stress test operates like folding. The problem is that nothing operates like folding other than folding.

Remove the OC'ing and then simply fold. If the problem goes away then you know that it is a OC'ing stability issue. If it doesn't then you know that it is something other than the OC'ing.

I do not understand why you are doing all this testing on other utilities. Your problem is with folding, so test your OC'ing with folding. It seems so obvious.
P5-133XL

Postby 7im » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 pm

What P5 means is that you can stress test using other apps like OCCT, IBT, or StressCPU, and can get your PCs in the right neighborhood of stability, plus or minus 10%. However, a system is ONLY considered stable when that system consistently runs ALL the applications you want to run and does NOT crash. That means if FAH is still crashing, then the OC is not stable. And as P5 said, this is easy to prove. Back off the overclock by 10%, and see if the daily crash stops happening.

Remember the OC level affects many things indirectly. System temps, core voltages, PSU loads, even room temps. So while the CPU may pass all of the stress tests, one of the other parts of the equation may not be holding up over time.
7im

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Almost, but not a 10% backoff is not a sufficient test of stability when there is already a question. The purpose is to prove or disprove stability and there is no guarantee that a 10% backoff is sufficient. TURN OFF the OC! If the problem goes away, then you know that the OC is a factor. If it doesn't go away, then you still know something and can resume the OC.

Only after you show that the OC is a factor do you deal with the OC in small increments and that is to determine at what point the problem creeps in so you can find what is a safe OC.
P5-133XL

Postby calxalot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:38 am

This could also be HFM refreshing a large log causing the client to crash.
Ticket #872 Refresh of longer logs causes FAHClient segfault...
calxalot
Site Moderator

Postby labnjab » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:11 am

Sorry its been a while. I think i found out the issue. I down clocked and still got the same issue. Then, on a wim i decided to try a ups and bought one last Friday, and it hasnt closed since, and the ups has recorded an event once a day since friday. So i think something is going on with the power every day thats enough to cause a stability issue, but not enough to shut down the computer, and adding the backup has solved the problem.

Ill know 100% when it goes a week without closeing, but its looking great now. Thank you for your help
labnjab

PreviousNext

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux