Gigabyte NVidia GTX 670 does not want to fold?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Gigabyte NVidia GTX 670 does not want to fold?

Postby Naki » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:46 pm

OK, thanks 7im & others!
It seems everything with my status is OK, but for some reason even though I added the -beta command line parameter to my client, my GPU is at about 0% usage, although the GPU slot I added seems to use some CPU (5-10%).
And there are two FahCore_XX.exe running, as shown in Task Manger, as it is supposed to be.

The Folding@Home Control GUI shows the ETA as "Unknown" however, and never reached 1% in the small time (less then 2 hours) that I let it run. The project # for the GPU slot is 8010.
My GPU shows as NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (GK104), Revision A2 in GPU-Z 0.6.4.
Now, is this normal? Will the ETA/% completed for the GPU slot change to something more meaningful than 'Unknown', maybe in 2-3 hours?

System specs:
Windows 7 64-bit, Ultimate, SP1 + latest patches.
ASRock motherboard with Intel chipset and 4-core/8-thread Intel Core i7 CPU, Gigabyte videocard with NVidia GTX 670 chipset and 2GB of videoRAM, latest WHQL NVidia GeForce drivers 306.23 (released 3-4 days ago).
No overclock, except the built-in Intel CPU Turbo.
Foling@Home Version 7.1.52. Folding slots: 1 SMP + 1 GPU (with Beta flag).

EDIT: I can only assume 4 things:
1) Just few units for Kepler GPUs are being sent - which would be strange, as the client seems to get a unit fine and says "Running" as the status.
2) Some config issue on my part.
3) GPU units assigned to Kepler video cards are not 100% reliable, and may not work sometimes (but why does it eat CPU then??).
4) NVidia driver from September 13th is too new?? The previous stable/WHQL driver was from May 2012, but I got this new NVidia videocard just less than 1-2 weeks ago, so did not get a chance to use anything other than the latest one much.
Naki

Postby Naki » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Bump

So why can I not get it to fold? Is there anyone here that folds successfully on NVidia GeForce GTX 670/680+latest driver?
Naki

Postby 7im » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Naki wrote:Bump

So why can I not get it to fold? Is there anyone here that folds successfully on NVidia GeForce GTX 670/680+latest driver?

To say this plainly, you have to join the beta team, and then ask for help with this kepler problem in the beta team section of the forum. Help for that cannot be provided here. Sorry, forum rules.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby P5-133XL » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:29 am

The Kepler GPU requires a new GPU folding core that is currently being beta tested. If you want to fold with that video card you need to join the beta team and accept all that that implies. If you choose not to join the beta team, you only need to wait for eventually (when there are no significant support issues) the core will be released to the general public. Those are your current options.

Niki wrote:So why can I not get it to fold? Is there anyone here that folds successfully on NVidia GeForce GTX 670/680+latest driver?

All support for beta products is through the beta team forum (requires beta team membership). If you wish to have any questions answered about a beta product please post there rather than in the general forums.
P5-133XL

Postby Naki » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 am

OK, thank you both for your replies!
Naki

Previous

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux