Restart Client Remotely?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Restart Client Remotely?

Postby hootis » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 pm

I was just wondering if it is possible to restart the Fah client using remote access in the v7 client from another computer?
The reason for this is that once your connect to a computer using remote desktop, it loads drivers other than the video card's drivers which then causes the GPU to crash immediately or eventually fail to finish the work unit. I have been able to get fah to running by rebooting after I close the remote connection, but this also means that other programs I need running do not start correctly(they crash when run through the start up folder for whatever reason and do not run as services). Perhaps there are other remote connection clients other than the default that don't interfere with Nvidia drivers; if anyone has experience with this problem any suggestions would be appreciated.
Things yet to materialize.
hootis

Re: Restart Client Remotely?

Postby Joe_H » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:57 pm

GPU folding can't be run as a service due to security rules added by MS starting with Windows Vista. As for remotely connecting, use VNC instead of MS Remote Desktop.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Maybe this would be a better question, if VNC is not an option...?

hootis wrote:I was just wondering if it is possible to restart the Fah client using the remote access in FAHControl in the v7 client running on another computer?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby calxalot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 am

No, you can't restart the client from FAHControl.
And there is no restart command.

If the client is running as a service which will automatically respawn the client if it exits, then you can use telnet and the shutdown command.
I don't know if the service will respawn the client on Windows. It does on OSX. I believe it does not on Linux.
Code: Select all
telnet somehost 36330
auth yourremoteaccesspassword
shutdown
calxalot
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:25 am

By default, a Windows service will restart itself if it dies so the shutdown command might work there, too. (You can modify that characteristic of a service with the Windows service manager if you don't like that behavior, but that's not the point.)
bruce

Postby hootis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Joe_H wrote:GPU folding can't be run as a service due to security rules added by MS starting with Windows Vista. As for remotely connecting, use VNC instead of MS Remote Desktop.

I ended up going with TeamViewer seems not to crash FAH;
I think VNC should work as well, saw someone else using it and it didn't crash their renderings(not FAh)

calxalot wrote:No, you can't restart the client from FAHControl.
And there is no restart command.

If the client is running as a service which will automatically respawn the client if it exits, then you can use telnet and the shutdown command.
I don't know if the service will respawn the client on Windows. It does on OSX. I believe it does not on Linux.
Code: Select all
telnet somehost 36330
auth yourremoteaccesspassword
shutdown

Does this shutdown the computer or just the host(fah) on port 36330?
hootis

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:18 pm

The telnet commands are talking directly to FAHClient. It can be shut down but won't restart itself unless it's a service.

It can only be run as a Windows service if you're not running a GPU slot.

Connecting remotely by way of VNC/TeamViewer/etc is an independent issue. Once again, it's a Microsoft limitation because they provide a version of Remote Desktop which resets any GPU that you happen to be running, crashing FAH.

I can only think of a very few reasons to need to restart FAHClient such as changing the remote configuration. If there are other reasons you need to restart, perhaps we should address them directly and make them NOT require a restart. Just why do you need this capability?

If you're trying to use the remote connection to modify the remote connection, that introduces a variety of security issues that might or might not be easy to address.
bruce

Postby hootis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 am

This issue came up because I'm using one of my computers to host a mumble server which cannot be run as a service (only launches correctly if executed by a user;I have no idea why this is) so to do this I used remote desktop which killed the GPU. So it was one or the other, but so far I haven't had any problems using TeamViewer to launch mumble and the GPU client is unaffected.
hootis

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux