remote client access [not on local network]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

remote client access [not on local network]

Postby DemonfangArun » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:13 am

backstory: i have a computer i built for a friend, and it's back with me for some fixing, and he ok'd me installing f@h on it, as part of the return for me fixing and upgrading it (f money, i'd rather run f@h on it, does more good :)).

what i'm wondering now is if there's a way for me to link the client on his computer to my existing list of clients in the remote client list. the problem is that the computer wouldn't be in my lan. i know how to set it up when it's in my network, but not for when it's outside of local network. i know i could just use hamachi, but i really don't like it that much, and don't know of anything else (person has typical internet service with dynamic ip, so can't just do a simple port forward). i do have logmein on this computer, but would rather have it alongside everything else

if anyone has any ideas of how to do what i want, using existing stuff in windows 7 and/or v7 itself (preferred), feel free to tell me. if there's something besides hamachi that can do what i need, tell me.
This user has stopped using F@H because it supports fake crap!
DemonfangArun

Re: remote client access [not on local network]

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:25 am

I personally haven't done it but think it is doable, but it won't be nearly as simple as you would like. First is the question of external static IP's and both sides; Next will be about routers and NAT followed by port forwarding. You definitely will need access to the remote machine to configure the folding client as well as the remote router but fortunately logmein will work for that. If either ISP change router IP addresses with any regularity via DHCP then this project is not going to work at all since the folding clients need fixed IP addresses. You will be configuring routers with port forwarding so the packets get where they need to go to on their respective local networks. I think you'll need to configure the folding clients to accept traffic from the other folding clients but I'm not sure if you'll need the router's external IP address or the internal IP address of the client (That depends on how good of an implementation the routers NAT is).

My point is that it is likely to need a lot of fiddle-factor to get it working. One hint is to look at both of the folding logs because it will give hints as to what IP addresses are needed. Also, any change to the Remote folding configuration will require that folding be restarted before it will take in effect.
P5-133XL

Postby DemonfangArun » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:34 am

P5-133XL wrote:I personally haven't done it but think it is doable, but it won't be nearly as simple as you would like. First is the question of external static IP's and both sides; Next will be about routers and NAT followed by port forwarding. You definitely will need access to the remote machine to configure the folding client as well as the remote router but fortunately logmein will work for that. If either ISP change router IP addresses with any regularity via DHCP then this project is not going to work at all since the folding clients need fixed IP addresses. You will be configuring routers with port forwarding so the packets get where they need to go to on their respective local networks. I think you'll need to configure the folding clients to accept traffic from the other folding clients but I'm not sure if you'll need the router's external IP address or the internal IP address of the client (That depends on how good of an implementation the routers NAT is).

My point is that it is likely to need a lot of fiddle-factor to get it working. One hint is to look at both of the folding logs because it will give hints as to what IP addresses are needed. Also, any change to the Remote folding configuration will require that folding be restarted before it will take in effect.

if both ends had static ip's, i wouldn't be here right now xD. as far as static ip's go, other person doesn't have one, but i do (minecraft gameservers, fileservers, etc...). what i was hoping for was some sort of implimentation of setting up the other computer's f@h to "call back to home" to my static ip, and once done, set up some sort of connection between them.

as far as access to remote machine, i kinda have that, considering it's sitting in my room atm, waiting for me to send it back monday. i think i'll probably just wait for something to come along that isn't crap (*cough* hamachi), because i could fiddle around with network settings for a couple hours and make it work, but i want something that's robust, rather than something that could break if one little thing changes.
DemonfangArun

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 am

Unfortunately without static IP's at both ends you will be stuck with something that could break with a small change. Not to say you couldn't do something with dynamic DNS to stabilize the IP addresses into a host name but then you will be getting into other complications.
P5-133XL

Postby bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:07 am

I use hamachi to my GF's house. I had to add the 5.... network to <command-allow... string.
bruce

Postby aliasgarbabat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:48 am

Try using various remote support services such as gosupportnow, logmeinrescue etc in order to setup a remote access connection between you and your friends computer over internet.
aliasgarbabat

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux