Laptop Overheating

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Laptop Overheating

Postby lysistrata » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:39 pm

I am folding on a few machines one of which is my laptop. I realise folding on the laptop isn't a great idea but I don't like not folding on a machine. This is the spec:

i72630QM 2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 4095Mb turbocache, 8Gb DDR3
Win 7

However this week it has started shutting down unexpectedly, and not BSOD but just cutting out completely and immediately. Event Log just shows unexpected shut down errors but nothing giving a warning or explanation of why. I am having problems with overheating, eg using CoreTemp for monitoring, when I'm folding it's showing temps of up 94C to 98C on all cores. Having said that, it's showing 56C to 68C when idling. The case design is very poor for air flow; it does sit on a cooling pad.

When I'm folding, despite fiddling with the %CPU usage, and turning off the affinity locking, I can't seem to get it to use less than 100% of all cores (of course some of that will be the other s\w i have loaded, but the folding seems to max all cores regardless).

Can anyone advise please? - I do want to use this machine for folding, but I can't risk killing it off.

Very many thanks.

BTW running Win7 v6.1 SP1 64bit. And it does that weird auto CPU parking power save thing...
lysistrata

Re: Laptop Overheating

Postby Kozmos » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:47 pm

It is better not to use your laptop for folding, it can cause an overheating issues which are most probably the reason behind you laptop's unexpected shutdown.

It is recommended not to use laptops for folding in general, folding needs a well cooled chassis with a professional CPU heat sink, which laptops do not offer it in general.

And it does that weird auto CPU parking power save thing

That is called (CPU Throttling), it is some sort of CPU protection which makes the CPU frequency to drop down whenever the CPU reaches its max. safe temperature to prevent it from melting down.
Kozmos

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:04 pm

You need to blow the dust out of it, I fold on a Asus G71JH with no problem both CPU and GPU but I blow it out a couple of times a month.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:36 pm

I fold with my Asus N61V, which thankfully has a good case design so the CPU and GPU can cool themselves. The fan and radiator can get dusty, so every couple of months I remove the back panel and blow the dust out. It's been my experience that low-end laptops are less able to cool themselves. The motherboard will shut down your computer like that as protection against thermal damage. The CPU slider does have issues, the devs are working on that. You can lower the number of cores used by the SMP slot by: 1) change V7's mode from Novice to Advanced using the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner, 2) Click Configure and then Slots, 3) Double click on the SMP slot, 4) Change the CPUs value from -1 to the number of cores you want to use, 5) Hit OK, 6) Hit Save. I don't remember if you need to restart folding to apply the changes, but if there isn't a change then hit V7's Quit button and then launch FAHControl again.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby lysistrata » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:34 am

Grandpa thank you - I'm mostly folding on desktops, but it's after seeing the experience of others like you who fold successfully on laptops that I set my lappy going.
I will blow the vents out.

Thanks too Jesse - I've done as you suggest re cores and it helped, although I had to take the cores down to 2 which seems surprising in an i7. It has helped me identify though that there is likely a hardware issue with the machine. It is now hitting 90C on all cores when I'm just running AV s\w, a browser window and a couple of temperature management widgets, with no folding at all. It was folding fine until last week so clearly something more is not right. I don't want to get the case off though since it's only 6 months old and still under warranty. It's been a bit of a 'Friday afternoon' build from the beginning though. Maybe a call to the supplier tomorrow?
lysistrata

Postby P5-133XL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:34 am

Can you hear the fan running? Do you feel air flowing?
P5-133XL

Postby Nathan_P » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:20 pm

If you struggle too much see if the bios will allow you to switch off hyper-threading and see if that helps
Nathan_P

Postby lysistrata » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 pm

The fan is running but it's pretty minimal and not consistent. It was one of the faults I reported when I sent the machine back to base after three months. But the techs said there was not problem. I do wonder whether the heatsink has died, or whether they used too little or cheap thermal paste on it.
lysistrata

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux