Question about how running unnoticed

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Question about how running unnoticed

Postby driscoll42 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:12 pm

I basically am IT support on a few PC's for family which basically let me do whatever I want to them so long as they run smoothly and without error. I currently have BOINC set up on them and am seriously considering switching over to Folding. However in order to do that I need to make sure that it doesn't make their computing experience any worse.

From some extensive googling and looking through the help sections it seems that Folding lacks the scheduling and fine tuning of when it runs that BOINC has. Ideally I'd like it set up to only run the GPU when idle and run the CPUs continuously. I know I can't do the GPUs right now, from some basic use on my computer that having the GPUs running makes my video choppy (yes I know it's because GPUs lack the scheduling that CPUs have), so then that goes down to how hidden is Folding@home with the CPU? That is if I had the CPUs set to 100% for Folding could my family still play games, run photoshop, play videos, etc... without any noticeable change in smoothness/speed/etc...?
driscoll42

Re: Question about how running unnoticed

Postby P5-133XL » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:38 pm

It is relatively simple -- Install as a service and it should be quite unnoticeable with no external indication short of looking at the task manager. Bonus: As a service GPU folding cannot run!

The Windows priority system will keep CPU folding from interfering with any activity that you are running. The folding cores run at a very low priority, so virtually all other activities will suspend folding till the CPU is free again. Do not GPU fold!
P5-133XL

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Welcome to foldingforum.org, driscoll42.

FAH has a choice between two priorities, Commonly called "low" and "idle" When FAH was first designed it only ran at "idle" (aka, lowest possible) but some folks tried running FAH with Seti@home on a uniprocessor. Since S@H (which preceded BOINC), FAH would essentially receive no processing cycles because S@H was running at a higher priority. In a later revision, the option to run at "low" was added so that both of them would receive SOME processing.

A lot has changed over the 10 years since then, but I think it's fair to assume FAH will be less noticeable than BOINC (or maybe equal) in the midst of foreground processing.
bruce

Postby driscoll42 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Okay, terrific. I'll probably experiment some on my machine first before I go about installing on others but good to know it should be fine. Throw up CiV or BL2 and see how it runs with FAH running.

I appreciate your concern about running BOINC/FAH on machines I don't own, but the only machines I do that on are my parents' and little brother's. Worst I can really expect from them is some angry yelling to get it off their computer.
driscoll42

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux