Just Upgraded to V7.1.52; Two Questions

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Just Upgraded to V7.1.52; Two Questions

Postby DrBB1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 am

First let me say that since I upgraded, my current WU rarely implodes when I do bad things like reboot without shutting F@H down, during power failures, etc. From a reliability standpoint, it has been a very pleasant surprise to me, a non-techie user.

Now to the questions.
1. I had this issue occasionally with V6 years ago and, as I recall, no one could explain it to my satisfaction. I have F@H installed on two PCs. One is a dual core, one a quad core. Both are running one SMP client (I had always run CPU clients under V6). To me, that sounds like I have two active clients. When I check on my 7 day/50 day active client status I find:
Code: Select all
Active clients (within 50 days)    5
Active clients (within 7 days)    2

My number of 50-day active clients is always greater than or equal to my number of 7-day active clients (which is generally 2). Two active clients makes sense. In fact, I can think of only one other PC it was ever loaded on with my user ID, a work PC from 2007 that was probably wiped clean when I left and--if it is still alive somewhere and somehow F@H was not removed--I can't imagine it is still folding. But even if were, that still leaves two active clients unaccounted for. While I'm not losing sleep over this and everything seems to be working fine, it does nag at me just a bit. I have seen a couple of thread where this issue was mentioned by all I saw was speculation around whether the folders' user ID and Passkey were being used by someone else. That simply doesn't seem likely in my case, and while I am not certain, I'm pretty sure I have not been receiving unexpected points. Any other speculation or suggested next step to discovering the "meaning of [extra] life" here would be appreciated.

2. I easily found the installation guide for V7 on the Stanford website. However, I have not found anything like a "user's guide for dummies." For example, it took me an inordinate amount of time to figure out if I was going to use one PC to monitor WU progress on the other on a home network, I had to ignore a statement I read somewhere that entering a password was optional. There are times, however, when I am out of town and would like to monitor the other PC from a distance, and I can't find step-by step guide how to do it, or something to tell me I can't do it. In short, is there documentation for setup and use that a literate non-techie like me?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.
========
DrBB1
DrBB1

Re: Just Upgraded to V7.1.52; Two Questions

Postby bruce » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 am

1. When you reinstall the FAH client software, there's a high probability that FAH will count it as an additional client for 50 days. Eventually (after 50 days) the server will decide that the client you uninstalled or overwrote is no longer going to produce any more WUs.

2. The FAQ and the How_To documentation for V7 is still being written. Somebody, somewhere, decided that setting up the monitoring of remote machines is complicated enough that non-techie folks would have a lot of trouble making it work so detailed documentation got put farther down the priority list. At this stage of development, somebody needs to try, fail, ask for help, and repeat that process until they succeed. The dialog will then form the basis for a How-To. Somebody else will stumble over different steps and the explanation will be updated to provide better explanations until it evolves into the simple, step-by-step set of answers that work for everybody.

V7.2.9 is now available and although it's still called beta, I judge it to be more robust than V7.1.52. Both still have open tickets for things like this which make remote monitoring more difficult to configure that it eventually will be.
bruce

Re: Just Upgraded to V7.1.52; Two Questions

Postby DrBB1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks bruce. My guess (and that's all it is at this point) is that after 50 + a few days everything will look correct (I uninstalled and reinstalled V7 twice asfter completing a WU thinking I had done something wrong). As for the documentation--well, I understand that no one is getting paid the big bucks to write up the documentation (probably no bucks, yes?) :lol: At least I know it doesn't exist and can go back to quickly coming here for answers.

Back to the hurricane watch.... Better yet, I''ll catch some zzzz's and be awake in case I need to evacuate. Not high probability, but Sandy is not your garden variety "perfect storm." :wink:
DrBB1

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux