Saving remote access information

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Saving remote access information

Postby DocJonz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm

I've been having a dabble with the v7 client (as I'm still mainly running v6.34), and one thing I've found somewhat odd is that after installing, if I go to the Remote Access tab under Configure and enter a required Password and IP Access Restrictions, on clicking Save, it jumps back to the main FAHControl screen. However, if I go back into Configure to check the settings were saved, it appears that they haven't been. Also had the same problem with adding flag settings - it seems to accept them, but on re-entering Configure they revert to default.
Also, I understand it that a FAH restarted is needed before remote access is given - when I've done this, on re-opening FAHControl, and going in to the Confgure settings, they have gone back to default again. I have managed to do it, but I have had to go round the loop several times before the settings 'stick'.
Is this just me(!) or has anyone else had similar problems?
Last edited by DocJonz on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
DocJonz

Re: Saving remote access information

Postby P5-133XL » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Compare the config.xml (In the data Directory) before and after saving to check if the save took. That is much more reliable than re-entering into the client for that is the file where the client gets the information to configure itself.

Personally, I have never had a problem, if after saving, I immediately restarted the client while dealing with remote access. Do note, that to make remote access work, you normally have to configure multiple clients and untill you've configured them all to the same state it won't work properly. Client options and Core options will save but won't become active till a new WU is started or the restart of the client.
P5-133XL

Postby 7im » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Also note that trying to enter a setting that is the same as a default setting will not show up as a changed setting. It stays hidden as are most default settings at level 3, as it should be.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby bruce » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Remote clients don't show in the config.xml. They're saved somewhere else.

Once you have created one or more new remote clients and rebooted, you can select any one of the clients in the left panel. You have to select the specific client you want to reconfigure BEFORE selecting Configure+Connection
bruce

Postby DocJonz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:11 am

Thanks for the posts.

P5-133XL - I've checked the config.xml file now, and it seems to have the settings saved. I have only configured one client (or slot) on this machine at present (custom install - main change to enable one client and not to autostart on Win login). After it started, downloaded a core and grabbed a WU, I went into Configure to set the remote access and client flags. I known that the flags only change on a new WU, but the editted flag entry should still be shown shouldn't it?

7im - These are not default entries ... unlesss the v7 code knowns my network IP addresses and password ... now that would be spookie!

Bruce - I think there might be some crossed-wires here - I'm not trying to set up remote 'clients', I'm trying to set up remote 'access', i.e. to enable HFM to 'see' the client.

I've got another Win7Pro x64 machine that I can run through the process again to see if the same occurs .....
DocJonz

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 am

DocJonz wrote:Bruce - I think there might be some crossed-wires here - I'm not trying to set up remote 'clients', I'm trying to set up remote 'access', i.e. to enable HFM to 'see' the client.

Oh. So you're on the Configure+Remote_Access tab (rather than the Configure+Connection tab) and you're adding ALLOW addresses of an incoming connection under IP ADDRESS RESTRICTIONS plus a password above that point. I just added a new address 5.22.33.44 there and it was successfully saved. It shows in config.xml as <command-allow v='127.0.0.1,192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255,5.22.33.44'/> (and of course I'll have to allow 5.22.33.44 to traverse my router and firewall -- in my case, by way of a VPN).
bruce

Postby DocJonz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Worked fine on the second machine.
There seems to be some oddities with the setup on the first machine, since I can set HFM to monitor the v7 client on that machine OK, but if I try to access it from another machine it times out. In contrast, with the install on the second machine, HFM on any machine happily monitors it .... ** scratches head **
DocJonz

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Does telnet <machine> 36330 time out too?
bruce

Postby DocJonz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:11 pm

bruce wrote:Does telnet <machine> 36330 time out too?

Yes.
Ping <machine> works.
DocJonz

Postby P5-133XL » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 am

Sounds like a firewall is blocking port 36330.
P5-133XL

Postby DocJonz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:45 am

P5-133XL wrote:Sounds like a firewall is blocking port 36330.

I trawled all over my Internet Security program and it is not doing the blocking, so on the off-chance, I checked that Windows firewall was off (as it should have been) ..... hey presto, the little sucker was on!! Disabling it has fixed it :D
Many thanks for the assistance.
DocJonz

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux