Folding in a school

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Folding in a school

Postby notono » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:51 am

Hi,

I´ve just heard of the FAH project and i would like to contribute to it..
Tomorrow I am going to tell my teachers about the projects and ill try to convince them to join the project. The "problem" is that most of the computers are a little bit old, so I would like to know when a computer is considered old and has to run the old computers software. Although, my idea is to start folding in 2 or 3 computers to see how they manage with the folding software.

Thanks

PS: sorry if my english is not very good lol
notono

Re: Folding in a school

Postby codysluder » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:45 am

I presume that the school computers either run WIndows or OS-X. As long as the computers are new enough to run a reasonably contemporary version of the OS, they'll be new enough to run the classic client, and I woulodn't recommend any of the advanced clients for a school computer that's supposed to be dedicated to other purposes. The only limitation might be if your have very little RAM.
codysluder

Postby chriskwarren » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:56 am

You have to make sure you get permission from the head computer person at your school. Folding will increase electricity use, which schools are wary of. If the school board manages the network, they may get curious about the folding clients creating extra traffic.

If you can get a couple of machines going with permission, then there might be no issue. More than that and you will have a much harder time getting it going.
chriskwarren

Postby notono » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:11 am

Today i talked with my computers science teacher, and he was very interested in the project, so there shouldn´t be any problem to get my teachers approval.
Most of the computers are runngin win98, and about 10 computers are running winxp. My idea is to start folding at 4 or 5 computers so I can check the results..
I´ve heard that the WUs only work for about 30 days, and after that time, the work that was done in the computer is useless.. is that true?

Im very sorry for my crappy english :P

Cya
notono

Postby patonb » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:26 am

It all dependds on the unit... my very small unit is a 12day deadline.. I'll be done in under 7 hrs on a 2ghz laptop.

I've seen 60day times though too.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
patonb

Postby jrweiss » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:07 pm

notono wrote:Today i talked with my computers science teacher, and he was very interested in the project, so there shouldn´t be any problem to get my teachers approval.
Most of the computers are runngin win98, and about 10 computers are running winxp. My idea is to start folding at 4 or 5 computers so I can check the results..
I´ve heard that the WUs only work for about 30 days, and after that time, the work that was done in the computer is useless.. is that true?

Once you get the permission to test:

For school use you should only try the standard CPU client -- no SMP or GPU clients. The new v6.x clients on XP would be better than trying to run the old clients on Win98 -- there is much better support available for current clients. Also, deadlines for individual Work Units are longer, so it is more likely that they will finish on time.

After that, Start with default settings, except in the configuration use the -verbosity 9 switch to aid in troubleshooting, and extend the checkpoint times to the max 30 minutes to reduce disk writes. Limit RAM and/or CPU usage if it appears to slow down the computer.

If the computers are often left in the login screen with nobody logged in, you would be better off using the Console version of the CPU client, and set it to run as a Service once you have it running well in a window.

FahMon is a good app for monitoring several computers on a network. It is especially useful when running F@H as a Service.
i4770K/AMD RX460 (CPU6+GPU), i7-3770S/AMD7750 (CPU6+GPU), Win7-64 Pro
jrweiss

Return to Older Windows (98,ME only) client v4.x