F@h Cores and Servers for Win 98SE ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

F@h Cores and Servers for Win 98SE ?

Postby 19Grumpah42 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Hello, I have two virtual Win98SE instances of F@h which run on a Core-2-Quad PC, and they have run very well for over 6 months. Starting just a few weeks ago, they cannot load new projects; either there is a failure to load the given core, or they are "successfully" assigned the server 0.0.0.0 which offers no work. Is this just (a) a temporary glitch, or (b) have the Win 98SE cores been permanently retired? If (b) then I will clean out my Win98SE VMs. If anyone knows the answer, please advise. Thanks very much.
Grahame :P
19Grumpah42

Re: F@h Cores and Servers for Win 98SE ?

Postby bruce » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:36 pm

I have not seen an official announcement suggesting that the V4/V5 clients have been deprecated, but they're getting pretty old and support tends to deteriorate gradually as newer versions are released. (Microsoft terminated support for Win9x quite some time back.) There have been shortages of WUs recently for all clients. The supply has increased significantly for most clients, although it does not surprise me that work for V4/V5 is the last to be resupplied.

Is there a reason why you're using virtual Win98SE? What is your native OS, and is there a client for it?
bruce

Re: F@h Cores and Servers for Win 98SE ?

Postby P5-133XL » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't think that the old clients have been discontinued. Rather there is a current shortage of WU's for the old clients. I do know that many people running the uniprocessor clients found giving them 512+ RAM helped with getting more WU's.

I think you are likely to do better using the normal SMP client under the host OS rather than virtualizing two Win 98 clients. If you need to you can limit the number of cores by using the -smp # parameter. I'd also suggest that you use the following parameters : -smp -advmethods -verbosity 9
P5-133XL

Return to Older Windows (98,ME only) client v4.x