Lack of display screen

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Lack of display screen

Postby new08 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi..Just a small issue as the project is running Ok on my m/c- cycling about 4% of 5000000 steps per hour.I can't get the screen up from the taskbar icon..just gives :- Warning: Could not load font for logo
[17:57:57] Could not load font(s) and then after a while goes back to processing your data.If I go to stats to see any data on project it doean't allow me access. So long as you get the result that's fine but it would be nice to be properly on board!! Cheers
new08

Re: Lack of display screen

Postby v00d00 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:29 pm

What client are you running? What version of the client?

Could you post a screenshot, so we can get an idea of what you mean.

Thanks
v00d00

Postby ChelseaOilman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm guessing he's running the GUI client.

I would try updating your DirectX files and your graphics card drivers.
ChelseaOilman

Postby new08 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks guys..GUI ver 4.00 win98- yeah the only one :)
I've reinstalled Dx9 recently but can try again.
Here's a screen showing the capture effect of the F@H window..it even captures my capture util by the corner.Maybe it is dual function..wow.
All the same I don't want to start re-installs as video gfx are all good- running online vids ,games etc.on NVidia GeForce 6200
Only one file (non .HLP file, that is ) driver NOT installed is nvaml.inf ....from System Info.

Sorry- seems I can't load image- gif available ,if cleared by your admin. Have no site available to link.
Cheers
new08

Postby ChelseaOilman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:41 pm

I think these are the last drivers nVidia supplied for your card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html

If you don't want to try them, that's not a problem. Other than the graphical display, does everything else work ok? Can you right click on the icon in the system tray and use the other menu options? If everything else works, and you don't mind not having the graphics display, the client should still fold properly. I would just always keep the display closed.

To post images on this site the easiest thing to do is upload your image to one of the free image hosting sites, then link to it.
ChelseaOilman

Postby new08 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanx Chelsea..I've tried the later 81.98 and they weren't the best drivers for me...can't remember why.
I did a lot of benching 'n stuff anyway at the time.
Yeah,,,as posted the F@Home screen is acting like a capture box and can be moved around with the desktop section captured- when loaded up. It just has the title right -at the top (on the LHS).
I can use most functions but the stats 'n stuff don't allow access ... LOG only- also holds the work in progress a while with the font problem- and as I've nearly finished the first run -don't want to screw it up now -after a days run.
I've offered to email Voodoo the pic in a PM.
To be honest -as a rare user of 98SE it's not worth bothering overmuch if the process works ok in background.
I just never like to let a glitch stand on my m/c..that's why I whacked 98 into shape eventually ;)
For other 98 users..it would be worthwhile nailing the problem to see if it's a generic one at least - or just moi !
BTW I'm running a Sempron 2600+ slightly o/c- and it's stable as a mobo. Seems to handle the F@H work ok.
Shame to not see rankings etc. but there's a 'lot out there' as I've seen !
Link http://img180.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _472lo.jpg
Red arrow shows F@H box slightly shifted but definately capturing browser window behind
..also Log on right...that project uploaded ok btw.
new08

Postby brityank » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:15 am

Hi new08 =

I am running ver. 4 on a WinME (shudder ! ) and just verified that any link in the right-click list that includes /cgi-bin/ will give you "Access Denied" at Stamford. I have all the links in other places anyway, and the main page has them all within a couple of clicks. Cheers. :)
... ... Free Republic Folders - A Tribute to Ronald Reagan ... ...
brityank

Postby new08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:18 am

Thanx Brityank !
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=37873 seems to cover that but it seems a lot of work.
This seems to imply that the 98se/ME config needs tweaking up to have full functions,
Hopefully there's enough fleshed out here for the developers at Stamford to have a closer look.
I see that only 10% of available capacity is in use at any time so extra CPU's must be a plus- even on our older kits.
Nice -if all the bells work first time , but not the most important part of the exercise !!
new08

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:32 am

new08 wrote:I see that only 10% of available capacity is in use at any time so extra CPU's must be a plus- even on our older kits. Nice -if all the bells work first time , but not the most important part of the exercise !!

I'm not sure why you think that. Unless your OS has a really small amount of RAM, it should be getting 99% provided nothing else is running.
bruce

Postby new08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Yeah Bruce..I was referring to the distributed resource out 'in the wild'.
Looking around for some of my data (as this post testifies- I don't get an easy screen to tell me) ... I got to see the amount of actual working units on projects as a whole.
On a broad basis it appears that across the machines' spectrum- only about 10% were actually running work- so I figured there was either a lot of redundancy ..or... people were not leaving their m/cs on enough to get allocations.
Hence my comment about older units (Win98/ME) being useful - the more the merrier, as maybe it's not something that can be moaned about by F@H -as it's all voluntary !
My CPU is indeed 'Flat Out' when 'idling' these days ;) with F@H onboard !
new08

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:59 pm

new08 wrote:Yeah Bruce..I was referring to the distributed resource out 'in the wild'.

I assume that means you're looking at these numbers: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... pe=osstats

The number of active machines within N days is easy to calculate and tends to be more conservative than the values claimed by other projects.

The total number of machines is difficult to determine and is certainly larger than it should be. If you try one client and then install a different one, you stand a pretty good chance of being counted as two machines. Some people intentionally change their MachineID causing the servers to see them with many inactive machines plus one active machine even though only one client is running.
bruce

Postby new08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:38 pm

change their MachineID causing the servers to see them with many inactive machines

That would make sense.
I must add that though I build my own PCs I still manage to scrape through most things that I need to do with 98SE.
I dislike the 'forever update' frenzy that MS got to lead in..though to be fair to them they did open up a lot of options over the years.
When I first looked on the forum and saw- NO- W98 issues, I knew it wasn't 'cos that system was foolproof..but probably redundant ,in the lives of many.
Brought out the latent 'anti-techy' in me :twisted:
...though I started in Engineering nearly 50 years ago !
(so can't let go just yet !) 8-)
new08

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:37 pm

new08 wrote:When I first looked on the forum and saw- NO- W98 issues, I knew it wasn't 'cos that system was foolproof..but probably redundant ,in the lives of many.

There aren't many people still folding with Win98. Many of us have done it in the past, however but no longer do because of the memory limitations (and most of the old - slow machines that we ran on WIn98 have died.

We recently had some severe problems with the software on this forum (really I mean on it's predicessor) and we migrated to a new server and upgraded forum software. We still have some hope that we can recover all the information that was posted on the old forum, but that's the real reason why there are no posts in the Win98 forum.

FAH Version 4 still works and there are still some servers available that distribute WUs that fit the constraints of V4. I don't know of any specific plan to phase out V4, but it's the only version that's fully supported on Win98. Some Win98 people have upgraded to V5. It has three new features, two of which do not work on Win98, but if you stay away from them, the other feature is often useful when Stanford has problems with the critical server that you need to access.
1) WU assignments > 5MB.
Must be set to No because they cause errors when Win98 fails to allocate memory correctly.
2) Installation as a service.
This feature requires WinNT or greater. Some people have discovered how to get the V4 client to run as a WIn98 service, but not using Standford's tools.
3) Support for Collection Servers
When the client cannot upload to the primary server, both V4 and V5 hold the results in a local queue and retry every 6 hours or less. V5 designates a secondary server which often allows the results to be uploaded even if the primary server is still off-line.
bruce

Postby v00d00 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:09 pm

A question is looming that ive been meaning to ask.

Did you change your shell? If so, what to (ie Litestep)?

Or did you just cut the screenshot before the taskbar?
v00d00

Postby new08 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:38 am

Did you change your shell?

No..I just ran Grabzilla (my capture util.) after I saw the 'transparent capture' (no F@H Data showing as expected)- and then moved the F@H window- to check whether it was active, so it has shifted due to that only.
The task bar is missing as Grabzilla doesn't show a predefined dotted outline for capture-
Choices.. area defined (selected); box behind or whole screen..
Well - it's free! :)
I left the log data in to show the font warning and the process timings associated with it.
Hope this clarifies.
new08

Next

Return to Older Windows (98,ME only) client v4.x