Delay for Send / Download

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Adriaan

Delay for Send / Download

Post by Adriaan »

When my PC finishes a WU whilst NOT connected to Internet, the FAHControl shows a line with status "Send" and a line with "Download" for the new WU.
After reconnecting to the Internet, it remains uinchanged that way for useless hours !
Any remedy or work-around ?

Thanks,

Adriaan
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Delay for Send / Download

Post by P5-133XL »

If you stop the client and restart it, it will do an immediate send all and download a new WU immediately (if necessary). Is that useful?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Seems like a bug to me. Is there a ticket on this?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
P5-133XL

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Post by P5-133XL »

To my knowledge it works just like v6. It tries to send/receive fails; waits, trays again, fails and waits longer, ... Eventually it will be hours between attempts. It is faster once you get beyond a few minutes, just to restart the client back up once you've fixed the network connectivity issue
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's not a bug; it's the way the FAH client is designed.

Suppose a server goes down or there's a more major interruption in the connectivity between hundreds of thousands of FAH Clients and the servers. As time passes, more an more clients finish their work and acquire a status similar to yours. If the instant that connectivity is restored, EVERYBODY tries to connect, the server would instantly be overloaded and all communications would fail. The client is designed to protect the server from that sort of overload by retrying the connections periodically in increasing intervals (known as exponential back-off) allowing the backlog to be processed over a reasonable period of time.

If the backlog is small, everyone will be connected at various times. If the backlog is huge, the server may still be saturated for a period of time. If you notice the problem and restart the slot(s), communications will resume unless the server happens to already be backlogged. Many clients will be running unattended, and they will all retry automatically until a connection can be made, but hopefully at intervals which will protect the server from being overloaded for an extended period of time.
GreyWhiskers
Hardware configuration: a) Main unit
Sandybridge in HAF922 w/200 mm side fan
--i7 2600K@4.2 GHz
--ASUS P8P67 DeluxeB3
--4GB ADATA 1600 RAM
--750W Corsair PS
--2Seagate Hyb 750&500 GB--WD Caviar Black 1TB
--EVGA 660GTX-Ti FTW - Signature 2 GPU@ 1241 Boost
--MSI GTX560Ti @900MHz
--Win7Home64; FAH V7.3.2; 327.23 drivers

b) 2004 HP a475c desktop, 1 core Pent 4 HT@3.2 GHz; Mem 2GB;HDD 160 GB;Zotac GT430PCI@900 MHz
WinXP SP3-32 FAH v7.3.6 301.42 drivers - GPU slot only

c) 2005 Toshiba M45-S551 laptop w/2 GB mem, 160GB HDD;Pent M 740 CPU @ 1.73 GHz
WinXP SP3-32 FAH v7.3.6 [Receiving Core A4 work units]
d) 2011 lappy-15.6"-1920x1080;i7-2860QM,2.5;IC Diamond Thermal Compound;GTX 560M 1,536MB u/c@700;16GB-1333MHz RAM;HDD:500GBHyb w/ 4GB SSD;Win7HomePrem64;320.18 drivers FAH 7.4.2ß

Post by GreyWhiskers »

P5-133XL wrote:If you stop the client and restart it, it will do an immediate send all and download a new WU immediately (if necessary). Is that useful?
Easiest way for me to do that with v7 if there is an internet glitch for some reason is to PAUSE either all slots on a machine or just the one that is waiting for service then FOLD. It happens enough for me that I've gotten adept at kickstarting a stalled upload/download.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

bruce wrote:It's not a bug; it's the way the FAH client is designed.

Suppose a server goes down or there's a more major interruption in the connectivity between hundreds of thousands of FAH Clients and the servers. As time passes, more an more clients finish their work and acquire a status similar to yours. If the instant that connectivity is restored, EVERYBODY tries to connect, the server would instantly be overloaded and all communications would fail. The client is designed to protect the server from that sort of overload by retrying the connections periodically in increasing intervals (known as exponential back-off) allowing the backlog to be processed over a reasonable period of time.

If the backlog is small, everyone will be connected at various times. If the backlog is huge, the server may still be saturated for a period of time. If you notice the problem and restart the slot(s), communications will resume unless the server happens to already be backlogged. Many clients will be running unattended, and they will all retry automatically until a connection can be made, but hopefully at intervals which will protect the server from being overloaded for an extended period of time.
You have personal experience the client will eventually resume normally?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
P5-133XL

Machine #2:

Machine 3:

Post by P5-133XL »

GreyWhiskers wrote:
P5-133XL wrote:If you stop the client and restart it, it will do an immediate send all and download a new WU immediately (if necessary). Is that useful?
Easiest way for me to do that with v7 if there is an internet glitch for some reason is to PAUSE either all slots on a machine or just the one that is waiting for service then FOLD. It happens enough for me that I've gotten adept at kickstarting a stalled upload/download.
You're right, that is a more convienient way of kick starting the client.
bruce

Post by bruce »

7im wrote:
bruce wrote:It's not a bug; it's the way the FAH client is designed.

You have personal experience the client will eventually resume normally?
There are two answers to that.
1) If the client is unable to contact the server(s) to upload and/or download, it will automatically retry at varying intervals.
2) If the client does contact the server(s) and starts the upload and/or download, there's a bug report (Ticket #911) to fix FAHClient because it does not resume automatically.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

FYI you should be able to find the delay until the next attempt by telneting into your client and sending the 'queue-info' command:

Code: Select all

{
    "id": "02",
    "state": "RUNNING",
    "error": "OK",
    .........snip.........
    "waitingon": "",
    "attempts": 0,
    "nextattempt": "0.00 secs",
    .........snip .........
}
]
I am sure you could easily set a simple script to test a) whether your queue has waiting WUs b) whether the delay is greater than a set amount and b) whether your internet connection has returned (simple ping to an external site[s]).
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

See here for a Linux based script, may work in OSX but I haven't tried it. viewtopic.php?p=230964#p230964