No new SMP WU for several WEEKS(!?)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: No new SMP WU for several WEEKS(!?)

Post by bruce »

WhitehawkEQ wrote:Is A5 WU's a thing of the past now? Or are we going to see more? I have 2 quad socket servers with 4 Opteron 6276 16 core, for a total core count of 64 for each server. I don't need to have these sitting doing nothing like the others have said.
So "if" A5's are gone, is there anything coming down the pipeline that I can use my servers for?
I'm using V7.4.4
You've implied that a shortage of A5 WUs is equivalent to a shortage of projects for 64-cpu systems. That's not true.

Two questions with two different answers:

1) Many projects which can run on systems with high CPU counts have been inappropriately restricted to smaller systems. FAH has corrected that error (and may be making additional corrections, further expanding the availability of WUs for systems like yours).

2) Core_a5 was built using a rather old version of GROMACS. Core_a4 was built using a later version which provides additional scientific options. In spite of the core numbering, releasing new projects to use A4 instead of A5 is an upgrade and as such, FAH will continue to improve their scientific capabilities.

I do not know if any of the projects originally released using Core_a5 will be coming back, but likely not.
WhitehawkEQ

Post by WhitehawkEQ »

You've implied that a shortage of A5 WUs is equivalent to a shortage of projects for 64-cpu systems. That's not true.
I did not mean there was a shortage of 64 core systems, just the A5 WU's to run on them.
Right now, the only way to get A4 WU's is to make 4 16 core slots with V7, if I have 1 64 core slot, it just sits there doing nothing.
Phildesign

Post by Phildesign »

Dual Xeon e5-2670v1,

Got it going again with decent PPD
Make 3 cpu slots each with 8 threads, each to mimic a normal I7 cpu, the rest of the cpu's capacity is on boinc

Now I have to figure out why my new gpu is giving me low PPD. Geforce GTX 980 Ti
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Your 980ti needs a full core free to feed it, you should then be getting approx. 500k PPD from it