I need to uninstall FahCore_a4 [OS X]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JungleOnion

I need to uninstall FahCore_a4 [OS X]

Post by JungleOnion »

I have a OS X 10,10,3 and I have these processes running under the user "nobody":
FAHCoreWrapper
mdlgafwriter
FAHClient
FAHClient (again)
FahCore_a4

I can't figure out how to get rid of them and it's really pissing me off having to find out it's been going on for who knows how long.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: I need to uninstall FahCore_a4 and I don't know how to

Post by Joe_H »

The mdlgafwriter process is not part of folding, a quick search indicates that it is part of Spotlight indexing.

The rest are running on your system because you installed folding as mentioned in an earlier post you made last year. All but FAHClient process will not be running if you stop folding using either the Web Control or FAHControl. When folding is stopped the FAHClient process uses almost no CPU time.

If you stopped folding by just dragging the Folding@home folder from the Application folder to the Trash, that does not uninstall folding. What you needed to do was run the Uninstaller that was included in that folder. To properly remove folding from your system, download the folding app from the site and install at least the Uninstall package. Then run that.

P.S. User 'nobody' is the proper one for the folding processes to be running under, it is given no permissions beyond the very minimum user level ones.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JungleOnion

Re: I need to uninstall FahCore_a4 and I don't know how to

Post by JungleOnion »

Joe_H wrote:The mdlgafwriter process is not part of folding, a quick search indicates that it is part of Spotlight indexing.

The rest are running on your system because you installed folding as mentioned in an earlier post you made last year. All but FAHClient process will not be running if you stop folding using either the Web Control or FAHControl. When folding is stopped the FAHClient process uses almost no CPU time.

If you stopped folding by just dragging the Folding@home folder from the Application folder to the Trash, that does not uninstall folding. What you needed to do was run the Uninstaller that was included in that folder. To properly remove folding from your system, download the folding app from the site and install at least the Uninstall package. Then run that.

P.S. User 'nobody' is the proper one for the folding processes to be running under, it is given no permissions beyond the very minimum user level ones.
Thank you so much for your help. I wasn't able to get online in the forum but it work as you said. All I needed to do was to run the uninstaller by installing the client again. It worked like a charm. I thought that all this time I've been mining for nothing but it turns out that my wallet was receiving tiny amounts of FLDC monthly :) that's not bad I think. I'll rather prefer to mine with gpu now.

It's crazy to realise how difficulty and halvening have affected rewards. My cpu and low end gpu in 2016 was giving me like 1,000 FLDC monthly, now I need like 4 high end gpu to get that amount!

But thank you my cpu finally has gotten some rest :)
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: I need to uninstall FahCore_a4 [OS X]

Post by toTOW »

Sorry, but no one is mining here. We're all folding proteins to help science.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.