GPU cores lost after every / all reboots

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GPU timpster

GPU cores lost after every / all reboots

Post by GPU timpster »

So I hate Windows sometimes because the most asinine problems happen. My USB controller has a control that's stuck so I unplugged it and reconfigured some settings. Then the controller wasn't able to ever reconnect. So I opened device manager and disabled ALL the USB devices. That worked. It worked too well, because now Windows is seemingly unable to re-enable any of them. So, if I reboot to solve this one off issue, there's a very high chance that I'll waste all the GPU cycles and electricity / time spent on the current WUs. I'm currently navigating the entire system with only a keyboard, and F7 (caret browsing) is much harder than I anticipated. I just want to play a few games but Windows being Windows I guess that's not going to happen until this WU completes and that'll be past four in the morning. So now I'll have to choose between waiting another 9 hours (from approximately four - 4:30) or so until nearly noon to reboot my computer just to reset the USB devices.

What might be able to be done to preserve the progress of WU in the future? I don't want to delay reboots as needed or wanted just to save a WU from loosing all of it's progress. Also I've discussed this before, but this issue still persists and I think the program would be much more efficietn if it could more reliably save progress.
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Re: GPU cores lost after every / all reboots

Post by rwh202 »

I find that pausing the slots before a reboot gives everything chance to save the checkpoints in the vast majority of cases. A straight reboot maybe 50% and a forced power down about 10%.

If your system is never able to resume from a checkpoint, then maybe look at permissions or post the log for someone to cast an eye over.
bruce

Re: GPU cores lost after every / all reboots

Post by bruce »

By all means, PAUSE the client if you're having trouble resuming WUs after a reboot. Then allow your windows enough time to close any file that is cached. The speed that can be gained by caching file writes is important, but it also leaves lots of opportunities for a file cache to NOT be written to disk and closed.

When Linux is about to be rebooted, you can manually issue a SYNC but I don't know if that's possible in Windows.