Overall status of a project? 11293, how many WUs left?

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

[WHGT]Cyberman
Hardware configuration: none anymore, FAH doesn't want it, it seems.

Overall status of a project? 11293, how many WUs left?

Post by [WHGT]Cyberman »

Is there a list or something that tells the overall completion status of a project? I assume this must be known internally, but I haven't found a page actually listing it.

I'm curious as to how much of project 11293 is already completed - apparently my GPU gets only WUs from that, and unless I miscalculated, it'll take my computer at least 300 years to complete all of them :-)

Needn't be a detailed listing, I'd be satisfied with a mere "30% done" or something.

Am I the only one interested in that or is there a specific reason against such information? (Detailed lists would probably take too much resources, I guess.)
It seems I can't write a signature that both conveys my feelings and doesn't look like a miserable trolling attempt...
codysluder

Re: Overall status of a project? 11293, how many WUs left?

Post by codysluder »

You're not going to find a listing of how many WUs are left. I just read a post saying that often the researcher doesn't know how many WUs it will take to finish a particular project so the idea of "30% done" doesn't really have any meaning.

It would be possible for Stanford to report that 5000 or 500000 WUs have been completed for a specific project but that number isn't really going to mean anything since there's no end predefined end for that project. It's finished when your protein trajectory is folded. I'm pretty sure that various trajectories can take different amounts of time.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Somewhere between lots and a s**tload, the closest you will get to even beginning to guess is to look at the PRCG number, specifically the last g number - i have seen that run to more than 2100 on some gpu projects. If you then times that by the R number (+1, zero is counted as the 1st) and the C number (again, count zero) you will get an idea of how many WU the project has done, as Cody says though - that could mean 1% complete or 99% complete, there is no way to tell. One thing is certain - unless you have a very old GPU there will be plenty more projects and WU to fold

e.g i'm currently running this WU on my machine, Project: 7645 (Run 90, Clone 0, Gen 42) (90+1)x(0+1)*(42+1)=3913 WU folded so far -and that would be on the low side, Runs and clones can go upto a few hundred or more......

Best thing to do is Fold on!!!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Each project contains a tremendous amount of WUs, which is one of the reasons why distributed computing is such a valuable tool. There's just a lot to do.
Perhaps my understanding is an oversimplification, but I suspect that a researcher doesn't start a project with X number of Runs and Y number of Generations in mind. In other words, I think the numbers are dynamic and not set in stone from the beginning. As explained in the Simulation FAQ: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Simulation, they are building a model, and the simulations are sort of restarted (the gen number goes back to 0) at each discovered conformation. I don't think they know in advance how many conformations the simulations are going to find, thus I don't think one can predict in advance exactly how many WUs are in a project. But I agree with Nathan_P; there are a lot.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Nathan_P wrote:e.g i'm currently running this WU on my machine, Project: 7645 (Run 90, Clone 0, Gen 42) (90+1)x(0+1)*(42+1)=3913 WU folded so far -and that would be on the low side, Runs and clones can go upto a few hundred or more......
There's no relationship between the Gen number of one Run/Clone and some other Run/Clone. All you can tell from those numbers is
  • There are at least 91 trajectories (91 Runs * 1 Clone) and the trajectory that you're working on has completed 42 previous Gens.
  • Runs 0 through 89, Clone 0 also exist but you have no idea how many Gens any one of them has completed (i.e.- probably not 42)
  • Runs 0 through 90, Clone 1 through J probably also exist, but that's not certain from the data you have.
  • Runs 91 through K probably also exist for a total number of trajectories of (J+1)*(K+1), each extending an unknown number of Gens.
Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin »

There is very little diversity with core 16 (for AMD) projects and I suspect it's a technical limitation.
So throw us a bone here?
11293 is probably that bone.
[WHGT]Cyberman

Post by [WHGT]Cyberman »

Hm.
Seems to make sense what you're saying.
Still feels somewhat empty to only know "my GPU is folding project 11293" and not even knowing how many WUs it has done for this project.

Perhaps a list of finished Runs/Trajectories? Would be better than nothing, IMO.

I'm not entirely sure why, but having only a number of WUs and points feels a bit empty. Especially since it seems like forever that my GPU is folding this one project, so I start to feel attached to it, I guess. Want to know when it'll be all grown up :-)
It seems I can't write a signature that both conveys my feelings and doesn't look like a miserable trolling attempt...
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Run a 3rd party app like HFM to track your WUs.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
[WHGT]Cyberman

Post by [WHGT]Cyberman »

7im wrote:Run a 3rd party app like HFM to track your WUs.
Was worth a shot.
Didn't really work. I thought I got it working (apparently there is no configuration help whatsoever for that program), but it stopped working when the WU changed.
Oh well, not that important anyway.

[edit]Since my GPU is always folding 11293, and I want to know what WUs my GPU has completed, I've thrown together a quick C# program to "analyze" the log files and count them up. (Basically a glorified grep script :-)) Wouldn't work with other projects, apparently. Still, if anyone's interested (you can have the sources, but don't laugh at them), PM me. It's a .Net program, so it could be run under Linux via Mono.