Help Needed HD 7970 Optimization

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Aristotle22

Help Needed HD 7970 Optimization

Post by Aristotle22 »

Hi, I just recently got into folding. I'm not sure how to optimize my GPU so any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently my ppd on my Radeon 7970 is around 6800. I've read in other places that the value should be as high as 110k. What can I do to achieve this? Also, my ppd on my 4770k is around 13300. Is this about right or can I get a higher ppd my changing something?

Thanks in Advance!
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Re: Help Needed HD 7970 Optimization

Post by Zagen30 »

Welcome to the forum, Aristotle.

You need to open up the Advanced Control from the FAH systray icon, then select Configure->Slots, Edit the GPU slot, add an Extra Slot Option with name 'client-type' and value 'advanced' (no quotes for either), then make sure to select OK or Save on all the windows that had popped up. Your next WU should be from the new batch that run exceptionally better on AMD cards, but there's no guarantee that you will solely get them.

There are several stages that every project goes through. First they go through internal testing to make sure they run at all. From there projects are usually moved to open beta testing so that a lot more people can catch bugs and such. If things go well, the project is released to advanced, which is a late-stage beta that anyone can access and discuss (regular beta-stage work cannot be discussed here unless you're a member of the beta team). At some point down the road the project is moved to full release, at which point every client can obtain it without any extra settings. These GPU projects you're looking for run on a rather new and more efficient core, and as of now only one project using the new core has made it as far as advanced and none have seen a full release yet. Because those projects are in such high demand and there are so few of them, there may be shortages, in which case your client will be sent WUs from old projects.

As for your CPU, what project number is it working on, and what is the power slider set to?
Last edited by Zagen30 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Help Needed HD 7970 Optimization

Post by 7im »

v13.6 driver seems to work better than earlier versions. YMMV.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.