Only get Base Credit

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

AZBrandon

Re: Only get Base Credit

Post by AZBrandon »

Hmm. So for the GPU slot (I got rid of my CPU slot) I have an additional config of "client-type" with a value of "advanced". I just deleted and recreated that option in the client software. Did I just get unlucky by being assigned core_15 instead of core_17 work before?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

The advanced setting is no longer required for core 17 work units ... they were moved to full fah earlier this month ... see the blog link at the top of every forum page.

However, until the core 15 projects are completed you can get a mixture of work that can result in the usage of either core 17 or 15. Both cores should work well on your GPU but the PPD will be lower on the core 15 projects.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

There is no guarantee that you will ever get a specific Core or WU. The best you can do is specify a client-type preference.

There are multiple client types (internal, beta, advanced, and general release [not specified]). Everything goes through a cycle of testing and the client type just specifies the level of testing risk (WU failure) you are willing to take. If there are no appropriate WU's of a specific client-type then you will get a WU of the next lower risk level. At one point, core_17 was internal then it moved to beta, then advanced and now is finally in general release. When the core was in beta, you needed client-type beta; When it was in advanced you needed client-type-advanced to get a Core_17 WU and even then it was competing with any other projects in the same classification so no one was guaranteed a Core_17 WU.

Core-17 just graduated from advanced to general release so you do not need the advanced to get a Core_17 WU. However, that also means that Core_17 WU's are now competing with all the other general release projects that exist. PG assigns a priority/probability to specific projects according to their needs and you have no control over what gets assigned to you.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The fahcontrol does have some normalization constraints for passkey entry (must be alphanumeric, 32 chars, and both entries match).

But if you edit the config manually, you're on your own.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
AZBrandon

Post by AZBrandon »

All great information, thank you! I am what you could call an opportunistic folder. I have been trying to make use of my local utility's cheaper rates for nights & weekends and as a result this usually means I let it do folding when I'm not around to check in on it. It also means that I may have configured something (like the advmethods) a few months ago and not checked in on the forums much lately. I really do think the passkey is OK, it sounds like I had an unfortunate run of events recently is all:

1) Was running nvidia's R331 driver, known to cause poor output
2) Was running the CPU SMP client with all 4 cores at the same time
3) Was sometimes being assigned core_15 work

I've since reverted to the known good 327.23 driver and killed the CPU slot entirely. It doesn't sound like the advmethods part is going to hurt anything so I guess I'll leave it there. Thanks for all the tips, I'll just check back on the logs every so often but it sounds like I have the major kinks worked out now.