Coil whine

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

LikZ

Coil whine

Post by LikZ »

Normally i like to support every project but these Core_15 projects give me so much coil whine -.-
bruce

Re: Low on Core_17 WU's?

Post by bruce »

LikZ wrote:... but these things give me so much coil whine -.-
Loud coil whine is generally considered a manufacturing defect. Talk to the vendor about an RMA.
hertz9753

Post by hertz9753 »

Coil whine is normal with NVIDIA GPU's when they are working hard. It is louder when running Core x15's.
bruce

Post by bruce »

hertz9753 wrote:Coil whine is normal with NVIDIA GPU's when they are working hard. It is louder when running Core x15's.
"Normal" for whom? There are several different companies who do the packaging, combining the GPU and the fan and the coils (etc.)

They may all be called a GTX nnnn, but coil whine is not a function of the GPU chip itself (NVidia) but rather a function of who designed that packaging (and whose brand name that's on the outside of the box). I'd think that they'd want to process your RMA, just to keep their name clean in a very competitive market.
LikZ

Post by LikZ »

bruce wrote:
LikZ wrote:... but these things give me so much coil whine -.-
Loud coil whine is generally considered a manufacturing defect. Talk to the vendor about an RMA.
The coil whine is totally normal on the more modern graphics cards. But sure you are right you can use the rma to switch the card. But what i wanted to say ist that my cards don't produce the coil whine normally in any situation. Only when they fold Core 15. ;)
Breach

Post by Breach »

Coil whine is a hardware issue which usually manifests at full load (but also depends on the kind of the load!). The top two reasons are: 1) Quality of the PSU in terms of output current 2) Card VRMs. I do get some coil whine with Core 15 WUs which I don't with other cores - it's a common complaint from MSI 9xx users (check their forums) and of course manifests with other apps/games apart from FAH though usually games don't drive your card at a constant 100%). BTW, I am not familiar with any vendors which would treat coil whine as a defect - it's rather a "feature", though I'd only call it "normal" as "normal" being something we learn to live with...
Windows 11 x64 / 5800X@5Ghz / 32GB DDR4 3800 CL14 / 4090 FE / Creative Titanium HD / Sennheiser 650 / PSU Corsair AX1200i