Core 15 WUs

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

LikZ

Core 15 WUs

Post by LikZ »

Just a Little question.

Core 15 ist officially EoL. I know there was still some folding effort to do only for nVidia Cards but right now i am just wondering how long we still need to fold these b******s? Is there a Count or anything you can give us for the Project because i am really getting angry seeing it pulling a lot more Watt from the wall giving me a nice coil whine and in the end no Points.

And another question: why is only Maxwell getting 8018 Projects? (These are really the worst Wus :P)

Mod edit: Edited for language -UF
ChristianVirtual

Re: Core 15 WUs

Post by ChristianVirtual »

If you have a dedicated folding box you might could switch to Linux ... Never again a Core 15 will come to you ... they are Windows only
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

LikZ, this is a support forum for the client, and your questions are more policy based that only Pande Group could answer. Your questions would be better directed to Pande Group's reddit page: http://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/
This subreddit is geared to improving communication between Folding@home donors and the Pande Lab
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

To answer the original question - they need to be folded until the science is completed, Projects cannot be switched between cores without starting over from scratch. Core 15 WU have been around for years - long before QRB was added to the gpu's. I remember wanting core 15 WU because they gave more points than core 11/14 back in the day.

Switch to something else if you want - it just means that the core 15 WU may still be around when you come back
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

In addition to what has already been written, just wanted to clarify that Core_15 was officially announced as going into end of life, not being EOL. The projects specifically were not announced as being EOL. What that means is that no new projects are going to be assigned to use that core, but existing projects will be run until completed. In the past that has been anywhere from 6 months to over 2 years.

As for Maxwell only getting Project 8018, that is not the case for all. Depending on your client settings Core_17 or Core_18 projects will be assigned as available. Additional projects have been announced recently and improvements in the latest drivers from nVidia appear to be fixing OpenCL issues for Maxwell GPU's folding using these cores.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Macaholic
Site Moderator

Post by Macaholic »

Always check Dr. Pande's blog for details, past and present. Lots of good information.
Fold! It does a body good!™
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

That same transition was telegraphed more than a year earlier with this post about GPU3 (core_17) and a benchmarking consolidation.
https://folding.stanford.edu/home/unifi ... qual-work/
LikZ

Post by LikZ »

Joe_H wrote:In addition to what has already been written, just wanted to clarify that Core_15 was officially announced as going into end of life, not being EOL. The projects specifically were not announced as being EOL. What that means is that no new projects are going to be assigned to use that core, but existing projects will be run until completed. In the past that has been anywhere from 6 months to over 2 years.

As for Maxwell only getting Project 8018, that is not the case for all. Depending on your client settings Core_17 or Core_18 projects will be assigned as available. Additional projects have been announced recently and improvements in the latest drivers from nVidia appear to be fixing OpenCL issues for Maxwell GPU's folding using these cores.
you got my post wrong : what i meant was that Project 8018 is maxwell exclusiv. ;) Only seems to be assigned for maxwell. All i asked for is a meassurement to see how much work is still to be done. They take more energy and time but they goive us less in return.
JimF

Post by JimF »

LikZ wrote:you got my post wrong : what i meant was that Project 8018 is maxwell exclusiv. ;) Only seems to be assigned for maxwell. All i asked for is a meassurement to see how much work is still to be done. They take more energy and time but they goive us less in return.
You don't get anything in return. The points are worthless for all the projects. What you are doing is helping the science, if you choose to do so.

That is not to say that the points are not useful however. They give you a measure of how well your hardware is working, and guides your choices. There are other benefits, but none that can be taken to the bank.
7im

Post by 7im »

LikZ wrote:snip

All i asked for is a meassurement to see how much work is still to be done. They take more energy and time but they goive us less in return.
They take exactly the same amount of energy and time as when you folded core_15 work units before core_17s came out. If time and energy were not an issue back then, there is no issue now. Only better opportunities, not worse opportunities.

And like core_11, the only end point may be when the last server with core_15s has a hardware failure, so there is no measurement as to when they will be done. Core_15s will keep running until they don't run any more. They will keep filling in the finer details of the picture of the proteins from those projects as a low priority project, or to fill in when core_17s run low. Better some points than no work at all.
Macaholic
Site Moderator

Post by Macaholic »

LikZ wrote: you got my post wrong : what i meant was that Project 8018 is maxwell exclusiv. ;) Only seems to be assigned for maxwell. All i asked for is a meassurement to see how much work is still to be done. They take more energy and time but they goive us less in return.
Hard to speculate. See this thread from nearly a year ago. Same information holds true today. Let's all keep this thread open this time around. :)
Fold! It does a body good!™
LikZ

Post by LikZ »

7im wrote:
LikZ wrote:snip

All i asked for is a meassurement to see how much work is still to be done. They take more energy and time but they goive us less in return.
They take exactly the same amount of energy and time as when you folded core_15 work units before core_17s came out. If time and energy were not an issue back then, there is no issue now. Only better opportunities, not worse opportunities.

And like core_11, the only end point may be when the last server with core_15s has a hardware failure, so there is no measurement as to when they will be done. Core_15s will keep running until they don't run any more. They will keep filling in the finer details of the picture of the proteins from those projects as a low priority project, or to fill in when core_17s run low. Better some points than no work at all.
started GPU folding with Core 17 ....

@Maca

seems a good idea :D