Client stopped folding - Failed to rename GPUs.txt

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Client stopped folding - Failed to rename GPUs.txt

Post by 7im »

If the client is the only thing using this file, how can the file be in use when only the client is trying to update it. V7.4.4 on Windows 7. And NO GPU slot installed. Unsupported GPU.

Code: Select all

14:53:45:Connecting to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:80
14:53:45:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt from assign-GPU.stanford.edu:80: Failed to rename 'GPUs.txt.bak' to 'GPUs.txt': The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Client stopped folding - Failed to rename GPUs.txt

Post by toTOW »

Conflicting anti virus software or something like this ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Client stopped folding - Failed to rename GPUs.txt

Post by 7im »

AV scans, disk defrags, etc. only lock a file briefly while running, and most modern versions don't even lock the files any more, they use shadow copies, etc.

This error repeated for almost an hour. I exited the client, and restarted. No more error. This is on a dedicated system, not used for daily tasks. Not something I can reproduce, so not something suitable for a bug ticket. Just documenting one occurrence, in hopes that it never happens again. If it does, then there is a problem and we can track it.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.