Is Core 15 still ongoing or not? (solved)

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Kittyhawk

Is Core 15 still ongoing or not? (solved)

Post by Kittyhawk »

I read that Core 15 reached end-of-life more than a year ago.
But Core 15 workunits continued to be sent out until recently.

(I'm still using the 6.41 GPU folding client for Windows)
The V6 GPU folding client now keeps trying to get Core 21 instead of Core 15 workunits. Is this normal?

Is Core 15 still in use or has it been deprecated for good?

Edit:
Searched the Folding@Home forums more and it appears Core 15 is still in use. Yay for people who have older and slower Nvidia Geforce cards that struggle to complete the more demanding Core 17 (and above) workunits. :)

I think it'll be helpful if a guide on how to configure the Folding@Home client (V7 and V6 GPU) to receive only Core 15 workunits is created. Currently, the V6 GPU client keeps trying to download Core 21 which is not suitable for older machines. Can someone please look into this issue?

Core 15 may not be the greatest but it gives people with older Geforce cards GPU folding options.
Last edited by Kittyhawk on Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Is Core 15 still ongoing or not?

Post by toTOW »

Some core 15 WUs are still distributed for older GPUs; but there is no guarentee that it will last, nor how long it will last.

A v6 client shouldn't be getting core 21 projects, there is probably a misconfigured server here ... can you tell us which server is assigning core 21 projects to your v6 client ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Kittyhawk

Re: Is Core 15 still ongoing or not? (solved)

Post by Kittyhawk »

I opened the log file and saw these lines:

Code: Select all

[12:59:51] - Connecting to assignment server
[12:59:52] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.104).
[12:59:52] + News From Folding@Home: 
[12:59:52] Loaded queue successfully.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

I don't think you can restrict the assignment on v6 clients. On v7, setting two flags on the GPU slot will do it: client-type=beta and max-packet-size=small (this assigns Core15 WUs for cards that can't cope with later cores. It does NOT assign beta WUs :shock: ).
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Both flags were available for setting in the advanced configuration for the V6 client. The problem as noted by toTOW is that an Assignment Server was connecting the OP's V6 client to a WS with work for other than Core_15. As I recall, the V6 client does not support use with any of the newer GPU cores starting with Core_17, and an AS should not be making such an assignment.

As best as I can remember, the V6 client needs the logging set to level higher than the default to list the address of the AS contacted. Otherwise just "Connecting to assignment server" message shows in the log.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Kittyhawk

Post by Kittyhawk »

I managed to get my Windows V6 GPU systray client to get Core 15 (and not Core 21) workunits again.
I don't think you can restrict the assignment on v6 clients. On v7, setting two flags on the GPU slot will do it: client-type=beta and max-packet-size=small (this assigns Core15 WUs for cards that can't cope with later cores. It does NOT assign beta WUs :shock: ).
The V6 equivalents would be --betateam and choosing small WUs.

I could not find the option to set small WUs in the Folding@Home control panel connection tab, so I manually edited client.cfg to set small WUs. Is there a safer way to set small WUs in the Windows V6 GPU systray client?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The setting for small is an option that is set by running in the command line environment, so not directly configurable from the systray control panel. So the safer way would be to create a client.cfg file using the console version of the V6 client.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Configure+Slots+(GPU)+Edit+Add+max-packet-size+Small