FAH client confused with my GPU setup.

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Don_In_Alaska!

FAH client confused with my GPU setup.

Post by Don_In_Alaska! »

Hello everyone! This is my first time using this forum, so excuse me if I'm in the wrong spot or I leave necessary information out in the process. Well, here we go!

So, I've been trying to setup my computer with three GPU's; two EVGA GTX 760 SC and one Zotac AMP Extreme GTX 980ti. I'm running them all on an Asus Z-97 WS motherboard. The 760s are on pci-e slots 1 and 3, while the 980ti is on slot 7. I have them set up in this configuration to help better cool the cards in my case. I used to have the 980ti in slot 1, with the 760s in slots 5 and 7, but one card was thermal throttling and the setup was not exhausting the heat efficiently, causing my cards to be in the lower 90s for temps. Either way... When I had them in that configuration, everything was fine and running correctly. When I changed up the configuration to what it is now (760s in 1 & 3, 980ti in 7), FAH got confused somehow. In advanced control, one of the folding slots that is labeled for my 760 is rendering on my 980ti, and vice versa. Needless to say, the graphics driver crashed fairly quickly after that.

I tried reinstalling FAH, manually configuring the GPU slots (if I did it right), and I'm not sure what else to try. I'd love to get all three of these cards running, as at one point in time I was gathering over 1.3 million PPD off one machine. Does anybody have any ideas for troubleshooting this problem? Thanks in advance!

Rest of my system specs (if needed)
Intel i7 4770k @4.5Ghz
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @2133Mhz
Asus Pci-e AC-1900 wireless card (currently in slot 5)
Corsair ax 860i PSU
256gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD
bollix47

Re: FAH client confused with my GPU setup.

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome Don.

Whenever you change or re-arrange hardware it's always best to re-install the drivers and FAHClient.

You can use FAHControl (aka Advanced Control) to Pause your slots and try to finish the work units one at a time by right clicking a slot and selecting finish. If they all do finish fine but if one or more simply won't finish then go into the Config and Remove that slot so the client returns the information to the work server.

After salvaging what you can remove FAHClient including Data (if needed you could backup your config.xml for future reference only). It's important to remove the data as well as the software so that the client has no record of your previous configuration.

Re-install the appropriate drivers and then FAHClient.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Most likely, you are running Windows but you didn't say that. The FAHClient does not number the GPUs in the same order that Windows does, so knowing which slot a GPU is in does not help with this problem, even if it is not moved.

Even allowing for all of that, FAHClient doesn't always associate the proper GPU's name with the slot created for it. If all GPUs are the same, this isn't a problem since any WU assigned to one of them will run on another GPUs. The GTX 760's are Fermi and the GTX 980ti is a Maxwell so FAH may assign a WU that cannot be completed by the GPU that's processing the WU.

As bollix has already said, Whenever you change or re-arrange hardware it's always best to re-install the drivers and FAHClient. This may correct the problem you're having. If not, diagnosing and correcting the problem is possible takes quite a bit of patience. Start by pausing two GPUs and see with one gets hot. Repeat until you're sure you know which slot is associated with which GPU. Then pause the odd GPU and see if the other two GPUs which are the same both work.

Give us a report back before trying to start the Maxwell and we'll help with the next steps.
Nert

GPU Designation in Advanced Control

Post by Nert »

I looked several times to try and decide where to post this. I don't know where it should go. I'm running a Windows 10 machine with two GPU's. One is a GTX 970, and the other is a GTX 750 TI. It looks to me like the Advanced Control Client is confused about which graphics processor is which. When I click on the Folding slot labeled "GEForce GTX 750 TI, it shows a PPD of > 214,000 PPD. When I click on the folding slot labeled "Geforce GTX 970", it shows 52,000 points per day. It looks to me like the Advanced control is confused about which graphics card is running which "slot".

Does anyone have any ideas about this ? I did a fresh install a while back, and my system has pretty much looked like this since the install. Total PPD is fine, and mostly things are running o.k., but this is confusing to me.

Thanks.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've merged your topic with another one discussing the same issue. (There's no ideal place for you to have posted but I answered some of your questions and the discussion can continue here.)
Don_In_Alaska!

Post by Don_In_Alaska! »

Well, I reinstalled both my graphics drivers and FAH, and no luck still. In advanced control I selected my 980ti and one of my 760s goes to 100% usage. Same goes the other way around.

And yes, I'm running Windows 8.1 pro. My bad.

here's how it's set up in FAH.

ID Description
00 cpu:5
01 gpu:0:GK104 [GeForce GTX 760]
02 gpu:1:GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti]
03 gpu:2:GK104 [GeForce GTX 760]

All I changed in advanced control is gave the cpu 5 threads (since the GPUs only use 1 thread each).

In Afterburner, the GPU's are setup in this way. I have the FAH ID's next to them as well, in terms of what is functioning as what.

1: GTX 760 (FAH ID: 03)
2: GTX 760 (FAH ID: 02)
3: GTX 980 Ti (FAH ID: 01)

Let's continue on with the next steps then. What's next?
Duce H_K_
Hardware configuration: MoBo•Gigabye X99 UD4-CF F24
CPU•<UPD 20.05.2023>Xeon V3 2680 V4 14c28t 35Mb L3
RAM•DDR4 Hynix 2133 CL14 4*16 DualRank Quad channel
HDD•ST1000DM003 Sata3 NCQ
GFX•GT220
PSU•Chieftec GPS750C 80+ Gold after repair
Cooling•Air 2xDeepCool UF120

Internet•200Mbit/s FTTB↓ white dynamic, ERTH, router RB951G-2HnD

Other•Redmi 7A <runs WUProp :-/>

Post by Duce H_K_ »

Don did you backup previous config & erase Data directory?
   510 290 819 pts earned in Folding@home project
Don_In_Alaska!

Post by Don_In_Alaska! »

Did not backup the previous config as I can remember it all. I erased the data directory.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

try a utility called cuda-z, this should tell you how the computer is reading the cards, you should then be able to set the GPU index number in FAH advanced control to match what cuda-z is saying.
Don_In_Alaska!

Post by Don_In_Alaska! »

My 980Ti is GPU 0 when my 760s are 1 and 2 with cuda-z. How do I change the index number in FAH?

edit: I can change the index value in FAH, but the thing is the index number in FAH correlates to the wrong GPU. For instance, when I typed in 0 into FAH, one of my 760's is selected. That's my problem.
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

If all else fails you just have to go with trial and error. Here is how I had to set my 3 card machine up to get the slot names to match the cards and to get the work to run on the right card.

Code: Select all

<slot id='1' type='GPU'>
    <client-type v='advanced'/>
    <cuda-index v='0'/>
    <gpu-index v='2'/>
    <opencl-index v='0'/>
  </slot>
  <slot id='2' type='GPU'>
    <cuda-index v='1'/>
    <gpu-index v='1'/>
    <opencl-index v='1'/>
  </slot>
  <slot id='3' type='GPU'>
    <cuda-index v='2'/>
    <gpu-index v='0'/>
    <opencl-index v='2'/>
  </slot>
I didn't play with the cuda index as the current cores aren't using cuda.