Any plans to startup Big Adv again? Maybe name differently?

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: Any plans to startup Big Adv again? Maybe name different

Post by Nathan_P »

bruce wrote:So you're saying that V6 has been obsoleted. I'd like to hear that from PG, but it could be.
In my experience v6 was obsoleted a long time ago unless you were running bigadv work as you couldn't pick any units up. I asked on the reddit months ago for a statement on v6 but heard nothing to either confirm or deny the end of v6. Based on the evidence to hand I'd say its finished and its v7 only.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Any plans to startup Big Adv again? Maybe name different

Post by 7im »

Nathan_P wrote:
bruce wrote:So you're saying that V6 has been obsoleted. I'd like to hear that from PG, but it could be.
In my experience v6 was obsoleted a long time ago unless you were running bigadv work as you couldn't pick any units up. I asked on the reddit months ago for a statement on v6 but heard nothing to either confirm or deny the end of v6. Based on the evidence to hand I'd say its finished and its v7 only.
Obviously it's not finished if, as you posted, you can still get work units on v6. And the only official statement so far was a recommendation to upgrade to the V7 client many years ago.

There are also fewer and fewer servers supporting v6 clients, so those choosing not to upgrade also increases their own risk of not getting work units. You can run whatever client version you want. I fired up an old v5 client not that long ago. I didn't get any work units obviously, but you can run that version if you want. Follow the project recommendation to upgrade, or don't.

Both versions support large work units so this seems to be heading off topic. The answer to the OP is still the same regardless of some temporary or permanent server outage. No plans to startup Big Adv again but FAH will continue to explore science wherever that takes them, including the analysis of bigger and bigger proteins.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.