Does the "one CPU core free" affect AMD / OpenCL?

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GPU timpster

Does the "one CPU core free" affect AMD / OpenCL?

Post by GPU timpster »

I'd like to know if I should leave two CPU threads free for GPU folding along side CPU folding on AMD cards. I've read that F@H now uses only OpenCL, and am wondering if there are any such differences between the two.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Does the "one CPU core free" affect AMD / OpenCL?

Post by 7im »

No need to make any changes to the client. OpenCL use started a (relatively) long time ago in computer time. That won't change unless the OEMs make significant driver model changes. And that is unlikely unless an operating system changes drastically.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

AMD GPUs have always used OpenCL (well, at least since the very early days when they were ATI, beginning with HD 5xxx Series). NVidia will use eitehr OpenCL or their proprietary API called CUDA. It's to FAH's advantage to be able to use the same software on both brands of GPUs.

The need for 1 CPU for each GPU is created by driver design, not by FAH. Drivers are distributed by the hardware manufacturer and, as 7im has said, fundamental characteristics are unlikely to change.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

GPU timpster wrote:I'd like to know if I should leave two CPU threads free for GPU folding along side CPU folding on AMD cards.
Yes.
bruce wrote:The need for 1 CPU for each GPU is created by driver design, not by FAH. Drivers are distributed by the hardware manufacturer and, as 7im has said, fundamental characteristics are unlikely to change.
True, but for some (still unknown) reasons, some projects tends to requires two threads instead of only one ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Sorry, that's not the general recommendation, toTOW.

But GPU Timpster is more than welcomed to try it for himself and see what works best for him. And appreciate any test test results you get. Run it for a week with one core free, then a week with two free, and note any difference in average PPD.

The other consideration here is if the CPU client loses more or less points than the GPU gains, if any.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Core_21 does a small amount of extra CPU processing every couple of frames, but the most you can save is maybe 1% of the TPF.

If you have a CPU that manages 8 threads, I'd leave two free because CPU folding with 7 threads is less than optimum ... 6 can be better. (or 12 threads, since 11 automatically uses 10).