Adding a nvidia 750ti to and existing nvidia gtx 960

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Barryfla

Adding a nvidia 750ti to and existing nvidia gtx 960

Post by Barryfla »

I want to and a gtx750ti to my system. I already have a gtx 960 running FAH. I would like to be able to install FAH on the 750ti seperately. This way I can use my computer with the 960 to do some gaming with and still have FAH running on the 750ti. Is this possible? I have an AMD 6350 with 8 gigs of ram on windows 10 64bit.
bruce

Re: Adding a nvidia 750ti to and existing nvidia gtx 960

Post by bruce »

Yes, it's certainly possible but there are a couple of issues.

First an foremost, are you running drivers which support both types of GPUs? (Check with the NV website.) NVidia has not always done a goood job of providing such support in every version. I had to downgrade my drivers to support the addition of a GTX 650 TI.

Second, there are some subtle differences between Windows and Linux and you didn't mention which you're running.

Third .. and this is just a suggestion. You'll probably want to configure your gaming GPU to run on idle rather than disabling it entirely.
Barryfla

Post by Barryfla »

I hadn't thought about the different driver issues. I would have to downgrade as well. Also my post does say window10. I would only pause the gtx 960 when playing a game, then unpause when finished.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Are you sure you'd need to downgrade? The drovers for a 650TI are more of a problem than for the 750TI. Nevertheless, I trust NV's list of supported devices -- and the differences between drivers that still support the 750TI and more current ones may not matter.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I am going to make cruel yet helpful advice, Some times F@H gets confused when you add a GPU Slot. It is much more rare it gets confused with a new install with two slots.

Consider deleting F@H and doing a new install, if it gets confused.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Barryfla

Post by Barryfla »

Bruce and Jimbo thanks for the help. Let me ask this. I have F@H currently running on the 960, I add the 750ti and install F@H again for the 750ti is this correct? Will I end up with 2 instances of F@H running on the 960? Or do I just add the 750ti and add the slot in the config settings. Sorry for all of the questions I haven't played around with doing this before. I build my own machines but have never done configuring for F@H. If this fails just uninstall F@H and reinstall.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

The recommendation is to complete any work in progress, make sure you have written down your user and network settings, then completely remove FAH, fit the new card and re-install FAH. That way the client stands the best chance of configuring everything correctly. You will still need to check that FAH has identified the two GPUs correctly -- when they are up and running, pause one and make sure the correct GPU slows down (watch/listen to the fans). You should end up with one FAH installation running two GPU (and by default one CPU) slots.
Barryfla

Post by Barryfla »

Great, thanks for all of the help.
JimF

Post by JimF »

I have tried various dual-card combos (even AMD and Nvidia once), using whatever tricks I know. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I tried the GTX 960 with the 750Ti. It didn't.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The NVidia drivers 368.39 support both the 750Ti and the 960 on 64-bit Windows. Without more information, it is difficult to be more specific. Both GPUs should already be installed when you do a clean driver install. I'm not sure if you'll need to reinstall FAH after that or if it'll pick up the proper information from the updated drivers.
JimF

Post by JimF »

The problem is not with the drivers, at least of recent vintage. It is that the FAH Client won't recognize both cards. You can try the recommended procedure for changing the OpenCl index, etc., but I doubt it will work for the GTX 960/750Ti combo. It has to do with the compatibility of the GPU chips. You are always better with matched cards. Anything else is problematic.
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

I've successfully run two rigs each with a 960 and 750Ti in the past - it was the linux client though and probably a 346 era driver, but it should be possible.

There was no fiddling or faff necessary, I think it even got both cards correctly labelled!
bruce

Post by bruce »

Since you've ruled out drivers, I presume that means that the utility that NVidia provides does, in fact, properly recognizes both devices and reports that they both support OpenCL. Please confirm that.

Then reinstall FAH. As I said earlier, FAH's recognition of a new device is often determined at installation time.