2 machines, 2 960's

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

humboldt32

2 machines, 2 960's

Post by humboldt32 »

My Win7 64 has no problem getting work assignments for a GTX 960.

Older XP 32 with a GTX 960 has gotten straight "empty work server assignments" for about 2 months.
Have tried different drivers, have uninstalled and re-installed several times.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks you.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: 2 machines, 2 960's

Post by Joe_H »

Newer GPU cores require a software feature that MS did not include until Vista. At this point at least Windows 7 64-bit is about the minimum version I would recommend.

The other option is a 64-bit install of Linux.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Joe_H wrote: At this point at least Windows 7 64-bit is about the minimum version I would recommend.
But if Vista 32-bit is what you have, it still works. Of course we never know for how long....
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Different suggestion: if the XP is a dedicated folding box you might give Linux a try ... Ubuntu, CentOS ... After a learning curve its quite stable to keep running.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

If you want to get Win 7 then wait until weekend because the free upgrade to Win10 then expires and prices for Win7 should fall.
humboldt32

Post by humboldt32 »

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
Yes, this is a dedicated folding box.
So the version of the OS is the issue here, not 32 bit vs. 64 bit?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Correct, Core_21 is not assigned to Windows XP machines. Only older core 17 and 18 work will run on WinXP and those projects are ending soon, if not already done.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
humboldt32

Post by humboldt32 »

7im wrote:Correct, Core_21 is not assigned to Windows XP machines. Only older core 17 and 18 work will run on WinXP and those projects are ending soon, if not already done.
Thanks for the clarification.
Instead of buying a Win7 32 bit I'm thinking of trying Linux Mint. Does anyone foresee any issues with that option?
ChristianVirtual

Try an older version where python 2.7 is still the base. There are issues with cutting-edge distributions and Python 3 and FAH.

My best experience I had/have with Ubuntu 12.04 and now CentOS 7

There are some hurdles with the driver installation; search in this forum; here are some good guidelines and how-to's.
When home I can try to get that link, too.
ImageImage
humboldt32

Post by humboldt32 »

ChristianVirtual wrote:Try an older version where python 2.7 is still the base. There are issues with cutting-edge distributions and Python 3 and FAH.

My best experience I had/have with Ubuntu 12.04 and now CentOS 7

There are some hurdles with the driver installation; search in this forum; here are some good guidelines and how-to's.
When home I can try to get that link, too.
That would be awesome, thanks for the advice and the offer.
Nert

Post by Nert »

I'm running Linux mint 17.3 Rosa on my old Core 2 Duo with a GTX 750 TI. I'm not real fluent in Linux administration, but the process was fairly painless. In my case the basic install didn't install any graphics drivers for the card and it ran in some kind of video emulation mode initially. I think that was really lucky for me, and I don't know why it did that. I didn't have to uninstall and re-install any graphics drivers like I read about in some of the guides here. I found a repository containing the proprietary drivers that I needed and installed them. After that I installed FAH and everything was good. I'm getting 50,000 - 60,000 ppd.
humboldt32

Post by humboldt32 »

Nert wrote:I'm running Linux mint 17.3 Rosa on my old Core 2 Duo with a GTX 750 TI. I'm not real fluent in Linux administration, but the process was fairly painless. In my case the basic install didn't install any graphics drivers for the card and it ran in some kind of video emulation mode initially. I think that was really lucky for me, and I don't know why it did that. I didn't have to uninstall and re-install any graphics drivers like I read about in some of the guides here. I found a repository containing the proprietary drivers that I needed and installed them. After that I installed FAH and everything was good. I'm getting 50,000 - 60,000 ppd.
Good to hear, thanks for the suggestion.
I'll try something like that this weekend.
Curious, how long did the process take, and was it a clean install or a dual boot?

Thanks again.
Nert

Post by Nert »

Curious, how long did the process take, and was it a clean install or a dual boot?
Humboldt32

Please keep in mind that I'm barely functional on most of this stuff. I only have vague recollection of how much time it took. I'll guess for each part below. Before I start a project like this I read a lot about what's involved ... lots of Google searches. I did a dual boot. I was running 32 bit Vista as my main o.s. and wanted to have access to Windows programs and data just in case I needed to get back to them in the future.

The very first thing that I did was to create a version of Linux that I could boot from a USB stick. This confirmed that Linux would run on my machine and helped me become familiar with Mint. This left everything unchanged on the system's hard drive. When I did this, I kept getting messages saying that the system was running in CPU graphic rendering mode (no Graphic driver installed). That was lucky I think. I don't know why no driver was installed. I'm guessing maybe a couple of hours on this part including research.

Next I had figure out how to do dual boot. I found some descriptions and followed the steps as described. I really can't remember what was involved with that right now ... something about Grub ? I do remember that having a different system for internet access was pretty valuable. Things are easier when you can always google a solution while operating on the patient. :? I'm guessing a couple hours here as well including research time.

After the basic install the next step was to figure out what was needed for FAH. The nice thing about dual boot is that I could always go back to my Vista install. That was reassuring. I read the guides here and also found some other resources via Google. I did some head scratching because some of the guides talked about removing and re-installing video drivers. That part is pretty mysterious to me, and I was lucky that I didn't have to remove the standard video driver. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could identify why that happened. Once I determined what the recommended graphic proprietary driver version was, I located it on some repository and was able to install it with Mint's GUI. I can't recall too many details about where I found it. Maybe 2 - 3 hours here including research ????

Someone mentioned the version of Python on MInt. I don't know what my version of Mint uses (or even how to identify it).

Sorry that I don't have more details to provide. If you want, I can try and find some of the links that I used for some of this info.

Good luck on your quest.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

I've had good success using the zorin 9 distro following this guide, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... olding-box. I think I was up and running 20 minutes after completing the iso download
ChristianVirtual

One HowTo also on this forum viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040
ImageImage