2 machines, 2 960's

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JimF

Re: 2 machines, 2 960's

Post by JimF »

Ubuntu 16.04 is much easier to install than earlier versions. The "Software and Updates/Additional Drivers" allows for easy installation of Nvidia drivers, and the "Ubuntu Software" center allows for easy installation of BOINC (if you use that). That solves two of the most important problems with a Linux installation, and you download the Ubuntu Folding client, control and viewer from: https://folding.stanford.edu/releases/p ... _amd64.deb.
https://folding.stanford.edu/releases/p ... -1_all.deb
https://folding.stanford.edu/releases/p ... _amd64.deb

Note however that the Python in Ubuntu 16.04 is version 3, whereas the FAHControl requires version 2. This thread discusses the overall situation: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=28716, and has a link for downloading Python version 2. (Also note that Mint 18 has other problems, so it is best to stick to Ubuntu for now).

I have given simplified instructions for installing Folding here:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=28716&start=30#p287162
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=28716&start=45
RABishop

Old V7 Client won't uninstall completetly

Post by RABishop »

I've tried several times now to uninstall the FAHClient and reinstall it. I had to wipe an old machine completely to get it to function again. I did. I got the whole thing working just fine, and I reinstalled FAH, and things were fine until I tried to add the NVIDIA cards. I went over to the expert tab, and informed it I wasn't folding anonymously and that I was would not be folding without graphics cards--in other words that I WOULD be using them. I then rebooted, but it still wouldn't allow me to add video cards. I checked and the changes I made to the expert tab were still in effect. I've tried several times now, even wiping out the old logs and config files in the var and etc file systems (init.d too), all to no avail. What gives?
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

go into the expert tab, set the gpus flag to true, it defaults to false upon installation.

Delete or edit the old flag, and add a new one that reads gpu true in the 2 boxes.
bruce

Post by bruce »

After you set gpus to true (or at least not false) the client will need to download a file called GPUs.tst. This generally happens automatically when FAHClient is (re-)started (providing your internet connection is already running).