project 11713

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Glennmas

project 11713

Post by Glennmas »

The project is missing a description can someone please add it.
Thanks!
scott@bjorn3d

Re: project 11713

Post by scott@bjorn3d »

Yeah description would be nice. To bad I have not seen this unit in over 24 hours. I did allot of work on them for a couple of days
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

scott@bjorn3d wrote:Yeah description would be nice. To bad I have not seen this unit in over 24 hours. I did allot of work on them for a couple of days
See this topic - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30591. The server for that project is currently down for maintenance.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Glennmas

Post by Glennmas »

The project appears to be back online so if someone could add the info that would be great :D .
scott@bjorn3d

Post by scott@bjorn3d »

Did this server go down again? Have not seen a big work unit in the last 4 days.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Checking the Server Status page, it is up and has been up for over a week. Checking the logs for this group of servers, a steady amount of WU's in the range of a few dozen an hour were being accepted for return up until the weekend. Since then it has been a few WU's, in the single digits, an hour. They may be temporarily out of WU's or there might be some other problem.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

The out-of-WUs condition is not uncommon. When a project is started, the scientist establishes a certain number of trajectories that (s)he wishes to complete. When the project is started, they're all available to be assigned, but once one WU in each trajectory has been assigned, time must pass before somebody completes one of them. Whenever a completed WU is returned, a new one is generated and is available for assignment. [In the past, I've compared it to a relay race where only one runner on each team is running at any one time -- and the baton is passed to the next runner whenever a leg of the race is completed.]

That's a major reason why we emphasize that people should not dump WUs if it can be avoided. It's also why we emphasize the importance of deadlines. When a WU is paused, no progress is being made on that trajectory. When a WU is lost, the server waits until the deadline is reached before issuing a second copy of that same WU.

When the number of inactive trajectories for a given project is small, there always are other projects which can be assigned. (well, almost always)