latest core twenty_one project is running slower

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

silverpulser

latest core twenty_one project is running slower

Post by silverpulser »

my latest core twenty_one project is running about ten percent slower than usual with the temperature lower too. something strange is happening and it is after both the latest nvidia driver(three ninety eight dot eleven) and the latest windows ten update. I can no longer use the numeric keypad nor the numbers above the alphabet characters as these only display as the alternate characters< eg three shows as a pound sign and seven as an ampersand with no way to change this behaviour. opening a new tab results in a new window opening and selecting text with the mouse works for the initial selection but selecting any more results in previous selection being added. a restart helps but only for a short while .
bruce

Re: latest core twenty_one project is running slower

Post by bruce »

The words "the latest core_21 project" are not precise enough. Which project number are you talking about?

Projects do vary by about 10%, depending on which type of GPU you have and which project you receive. There's nothing that can be done about that. FAH has to support a wide variety of projects and a wide variety of GPUs.

The efficiency of each GPU and each project depends on both the number of shaders in the GPU and the number of atoms in the project. Projects with large numbers of atoms tend to run more efficiently on GPUs with large numbers of shaders. Projects with smaller numbers of atoms tend to run more efficiently on GPUs with smaller numbers of atoms.

It sounds like your keyboard needs to be replaced ... Shift-lock is on or the shift key is stuck or something like that. It's not a problem with FAH.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

it is project eleven seven one three.would a faulting keyboard also disable the scroll on the mouse (both Logitech and only one micro usb adapter)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Shift-Scroll is probably different than an unshifted Scroll. You'd have to ask Logitech.

What model of GPU do you have?
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

Trying out my wife's Dell usb keyboard seems to have resolved the issue. Off to Currys/PC World to get a new keyboard.
Incidentally, the speed on the FAH core 21 has returned to it's usual level, Goodness knows how a failing keyboard can effect it!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

A failing keyboard can generate so many interrupts for the system to process that less CPU time is available for other processes. This kind of problem was even more obvious on older systems with slower processors.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

Now got my new keyboard (wired usb). It was the only one not wireless and only cost £10 including a wired mouse too. All seems to be working as it was.