GPU WU's constantly failing

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: GPU WU's constantly failing

Post by bruce »

rfharbin wrote:bruce...I spent most of the day today fiddling around with this, and I cannot find a way to fold "just for me". 7.5.1 does not give one a choice and I found a copy 7.4.4 but although it shows an option between doing a "just for me" in the advanced install option but it still sent the FAHClient to my administrative user profile.I did notice that unless one shuts F@H down correctly it will install a core file in the C:/Windows/ SYSWOW64 folder and it will start an 0xa4 and run it and one may have two of those a4's running, one which does not shut down until one searches it out and does an end process on it. That one is in the SYSWOW64 folder.

Is their anything else to try?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. V7.4.4 gave you a choice which defaulted to "just for me" and at that point we were talking about 7.4.4. V7.5.1 does not give you that choice. The only option is equivalent to the old "just for me"

People were continually getting into trouble by choosing "for anyone" OR BY LOGGING ON AS ADMIN which is essentially the same as "for everyone" I Suppose we need to add a message saying "You MUST be logged on as the person who is going to run FAH. (The installer may ask you for the name and password of the administrative ID.)"
rfharbin
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MoBo
Cooler Master HAF series RC-932-KKN5 Case
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Cooler Master RS 750 Power Supply
Intel Core i7- 6700K CPU 8M 4.0 Ghz CPU
1 Tetra Seagate ST1000DX001-1NS162
GSKILL Ripjaws 16GB DDR4 Memory
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner
Cooler Master 120mm CPU Cooler
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SSD

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. V7.4.4 gave you a choice which defaulted to "just for me" and at that point we were talking about 7.4.4. V7.5.1 does not give you that choice. The only option is equivalent to the old "just for me"

People were continually getting into trouble by choosing "for anyone" OR BY LOGGING ON AS ADMIN which is essentially the same as "for everyone" I Suppose we need to add a message saying "You MUST be logged on as the person who is going to run FAH. (The installer may ask you for the name and password of the administrative ID.)"
I spent a lot of time yesterday uninstalling and reinstalling repeatedly trying to install F@H so it would put the client into my standard user profile and every time I installed F@H from my standard profile that I use and every time the client went to my administrative profile. I did this for several hours and even when I was able to click a bullseye that said F@H would be just for me the client went to my administrative profile. Every time I installed it from the profile I use and every time it put the client into my admin profile. Both 7.5.1 and 7,4,4. Believe me I was rather frustrated when I finished for the day. Every time I uninstalled I looked and searched to be sure nothing was on my computer of F@H.

Now what could I have done wrong every time? Please forgive me I am lost for any explanation but that something is wrong in the install program, both 7.4.4 and 7.5.1. I hope you will have an idea what I may have failed at all day long trying anything I could think of.

I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

I do appreciate your persistence on this problem of mine.
Nert

Post by Nert »

I'm doing a lot of guessing here, but I think this card has an overclock. Here's what I did. I googled the "Device ID 10DE-1C03" and found the following link:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/186 ... 144-160609

It says that the GPU Clock is 1506 MHZ.

The information from speccy that you posted says:
rfharbin wrote:GPU Clock 1974 MHz
That looks a lot bigger than "standard"

Let's wait and see if someone more knowledgeable responds with confirmation or denial of my guesses. That will provide information about possible next steps.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

1506 Mhz is the base clock and 1974 Mhz is the boost clock. Boost clock is only reached when it is not limited in temperature and power.
rfharbin
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

Thanks nert. I went to the EVGA site yesterday looking for info and noticed that there are about 25 different versions of the 1060. This is a bit beyond me. Was the card your card also a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

My 1060 is stock and the boost clock is 1709 which appears to be the norm and explains why you're getting better TPFs that I am.

A boost of 1974 would suggest the card has been overclocked higher than any of the boosts I can see here and may be what is causing your failures.

The highest boost clock I saw was evga ftw & ftw2 @ 1860. You've already said you did not overclock your card ... is it possible someone else did like a trying to be helpful gremlin?
rfharbin
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

bollix47 wrote:The highest boost clock I saw was evga ftw & ftw2 @ 1860. You've already said you did not overclock your card ... is it possible someone else did like a trying to be helpful gremlin?
No way, all the tech did was install the card and boot the computer up to see that everything worked he had too much other work. As there is over twenty different versions of the 1060 GPU there has to be a reason why so many different version exist and that may explain the difference. Also the amount of memory would have some kind of effect. Until this thread brought up the ability to overclock the card I did not know that it was possible.
rfharbin
GTX-1060 Graphics card
Lite-on DVD/CD Burner

Windows 10 home
Cable 7GB/1GB

Post by rfharbin »

I knew that I had a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU but did not have the paperwork or model number. The guys at the EVGA community forum helped me find out that it is an EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 and yes it was overclocked from the factory. I am now using MSI Afterburner to down-clock it. I split the difference between the base GPU clock and what it was overclocked and will move down in 13mz steps if I have any trouble in the future.

Thanks for your help. You knew where I had to go to get the info I needed.