BAD_WORK_UNIT on fresh Ubuntu 18.04 & RX570

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: BAD_WORK_UNIT on fresh Ubuntu 18.04 & RX570

Post by bruce »

I have not see any such reports until now.

FAH is designed to process under the username fahclient and to create files in a specific place so ownership of those files is consistent with that use -- and root privileges have NOT been required. In the past, OpenCL has been installed with the NVidia or ATI drivers and special permission has NOT been required to access an OpenCL device. Apparently something you've done has changed those assumptions but I don;t understand what that might be.

The first time you ran FAH, you might have been running as root or as fahclient so fhen the files were initially created, they may belong to root or to fahclient. If those files were created by root, they you'll have to either recreate them belonging to fahclient. Otherwise you'll have to keep using root. If special permission is now required to access the OpenCL device, you'll have to help figure out what to do about that.
tchiers

Post by tchiers »

I'm running as fahclient, not root. I did have to add fahclient to the video group manually.
bruce

Post by bruce »

As explained in the signatur block of my prefous post, I need you to post segments of the log file from /var/lib/fahclient
urliyis

Post by urliyis »

bruce wrote:Unfortunately, "BAD_WORK_UNIT (114 = 0x72)" doesn't really indicate the cause. The first thing to check for is whether the GPU is producing accurate calculations -- i.e.- not overclocked/overheated, etc. though there are a lot of other possibilities.

In the case of project:11728 run:0 clone:661 gen:189, after your FAULTY result was uploaded, it was reassigned and successfully completed by someone else, so the WU, itself really isn't faulty. The other two have probably been reassigned, but they have not yet been returned.

What does FAHBench tell you?
I'm trying to get a new machine up and folding. CPU slot is working fine. Can't get the GPU slot going. This is a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install with an RX570 and AMD 18.30 Drivers.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

@urliyis Have you tried installing the opencl dev files?

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev
Once installed restart the computer and try folding again.
tchiers

Post by tchiers »

Just in case anybody is using my fah.service...

I had some boot instability issues that may have been related to fahclient starting at the same time as the graphics system. So I modified the fah.service to delay startup until after graphics are up and running. Anyone using my fah.service may want to make this change, too.

Code: Select all

[Unit]
Description=Folding@Home for Systemd
After=remote-fs.target
After=network-online.target
After=graphical.target
Wants=network-online.target graphical.target

[Service]
Type=simple
WorkingDirectory=/var/lib/fahclient
User=fahclient
ExecStart=/usr/bin/FAHClient /etc/fahclient/config.xml --pid-file=/var/run/fahclient.pid

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

tchiers wrote:~350K PPD for just the GPU.
I get similar results on a GTX 1060, nice!
4n0n

Post by 4n0n »

csallen1204 wrote:Has anyone seen this issue before and was able to tweak the fahclient user's privileges to fix this without resorting to running the fahclient as root?
"tchiers" already posted such a solution in posts
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=31096&start=15#p304893 and
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=31096#p303571

You might also want to look at viewtopic.php?f=81&t=33353 for a slightly other solution following the same concept.