Older AMD GPU no WU's available for this Config

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dragon687

Older AMD GPU no WU's available for this Config

Post by dragon687 »

I have a FirePro V7800, which is confirmed to be whitelisted, that after days of trying is still coming back with "No WUs available for this configuration" "Could not get an assignment". This issue is also present on another system running dual HD 6870's, again GPU's that are in the whitelist. Is FAH/Stanford just not making WU's for these models anymore? I've tried all the other troubleshooting steps like reloading the whitelist, pausing and restarting many times in a row, and letting it run for days trying to get a WU.

Please advise.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Older AMD GPU no WU's available for this Config

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

Support for these older cards first released 8-9 years ago is currently being reviewed for updating. Both of your AMD cards are based on the Terascale architecture, one may stay whitelisted and the other not. The issue at WU assignment time is that the servers can not distinguish between which AMD cards using Terascale chips support double precision calculations and the majority which do not. Current GPU projects require mixed precision processing of the calculations, using double precision for a small portion where the extra precision is required.

Your FirePro V7800, essentially the same as a HD 5850, does support double precision. Once the whitelist gets sorted out it should eventually get assignments again. But the HD 6870 does not support double precision, AMD limited that to the 6900 series cards. Most other cards based on Terascale do not support double precision and will be removed from the whitelist as they are identified.

One additional piece of information I can pass on. The current cores will work on the older Terascale cards, but not efficiently. The GPU folding core is better optimized for the newer GCN architecture from AMD.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
dragon687

Re: Older AMD GPU no WU's available for this Config

Post by dragon687 »

Ah okay that makes sense. I'll keep the V7800 chunking away on just the CPU cores for now and wait for the WU's to become available.

Thank you for the clarification!