Core 22 is not ready to be on Advanced

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JimF

Re: Core 22 on Advanced

Post by JimF »

bcavnaugh wrote:"That is still overclocked insofar as FAH is concerned."
This tells me that FAH no longer wants Gamers to Fold and I cannot believe this for on Second.
Don't worry. I am used to responses like that and rather expected it. Some people have to learn the hard way.
bcavnaugh

Post by bcavnaugh »

JimF wrote:
bcavnaugh wrote:"That is still overclocked insofar as FAH is concerned."
This tells me that FAH no longer wants Gamers to Fold and I cannot believe this for on Second.
Don't worry. I am used to responses like that and rather expected it. Some people have to learn the hard way.
" Some people have to learn the hard way." Please explain who you are referencing this to?

Also we all Know sometimes NVIDIA Drivers can cause us all nightmares.
And on the RTX Cards we no longer have Control of the (Boost Clock) so the Clocks are never going to stay at Base Clock MHz.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

That is yours, and only yours interpretation.

F@h has never supported overclocking officially, and problems caused by overclocking whether from the factory or by the user need to be handled by them. That may include taking off or reducing a factory overclock to get a GPU to be folding stable. nVidia has established clock speeds for their different GPU chips, binning by manufacturers may allow higher speeds. But the GPU's at those higher speeds are only warranted to be game stable, not necessarily data crunching stable.

The same applies to overclocking CPU's and using them for folding.

As for getting Core 22 projects, those have been returned to Beta while they examine the work logs to see if there is a pattern to the failures. They may release an updated version and put that out for testing.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bcavnaugh

Post by bcavnaugh »

Joe_H wrote:That is yours, and only yours interpretation.

F@h has never supported overclocking officially, and problems caused by overclocking whether from the factory or by the user need to be handled by them. That may include taking off or reducing a factory overclock to get a GPU to be folding stable. nVidia has established clock speeds for their different GPU chips, binning by manufacturers may allow higher speeds. But the GPU's at those higher speeds are only warranted to be game stable, not necessarily data crunching stable.

The same applies to overclocking CPU's and overclocking them.

As for getting Core 22 projects, they have been returned to Beta while they examine the work logs to see if there is a pattern to the failures. They may release an updated version and put that out for testing.
I See.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Let's quote what I wrote as a warning in beta thread (and that probably no one here read) : viewtopic.php?p=305636#p305636
toTOW wrote:On a general note, this new core is using the GPU much efficiently than previous one, especially on Windows where performance differences with Linux are almost gone.
So as a consequence, make sure your cooling can handle the extra heat and the PSU can handle the extra load. For instance, my stock 1080 is now constantly running at 100% of its TDP (180W) ...
Also, if you start seeing bad states on overclocked but usually stable GPUs, the two first things to try is to reduce OC a little bit, or to add one step of voltage.
I didn't mention it before, but I think some people in early testing also noticed that it's time to upgrade to latest NV drivers on all platforms ... it seems to help with bad states on core 22 ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Calcii

Post by Calcii »

bcavnaugh wrote:So can we now get Core 22 WU?
I would be happy to run on my GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 Ti Cards even if I get a few Bad Work Units to at least see where I need to Set my Graphics Cards for Folding that is to support the new Core 22 Work Units.
You can set key -Beta, and catch that jobs, only if You have good Power Supply and cooling(Better to have a liquid-cooled system)
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

No liquid cooling needed :-)

If Core22 gets better performance than Core21 especially on Windows then does it make sense to run the Core22 preferred on Windows machines and keep Core21 on Linux machines preferred? (Once Core22 beta stabilize finished)
Dr. Merkwürdigliebe
Hardware configuration: Xeon 1230v3 + Geforce RTX 2080

Post by Dr. Merkwürdigliebe »

I crunched several Core22 WUs on Ubuntu Linux 18.10 with a Geforce 2080 and the latest NVIDIA drivers, i.e. 418.43, kernel version 4.20.13.

No problems at all.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Calcii wrote:
I would be happy to run on my GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 Ti Cards even if I get a few Bad Work Units to at least see where I need to Set my Graphics Cards for Folding that is to support the new Core 22 Work Units.
You can set key -Beta, and catch that jobs, only if You have good Power Supply and cooling(Better to have a liquid-cooled system)
If you're interested in beta testing, please apply to beta team : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bcavnaugh

Post by bcavnaugh »

toTOW wrote:
Calcii wrote:
If you're interested in beta testing, please apply to beta team : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8
I did years ago when we had the BigAdv WU and was denied no biggie.
All is running fine on the western Front.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You still can join the beta team. All you have to do is agree to the beta guidelines -- especially the part about your primary objective being about finding and documenting errors.

Beta and BigAdv had nothing to do with each other.
bcavnaugh

Post by bcavnaugh »

bruce wrote:You still can join the beta team. All you have to do is agree to the beta guidelines -- especially the part about your primary objective being about finding and documenting errors.

Beta and BigAdv had nothing to do with each other.
I did not say that it did, I only said back years ago when.
bruce

Post by bruce »

bcavnaugh wrote:I did not say that it did, I only said back years ago when.
OK. It's probably time to get over it and quit dwelling on things that no longer to FAH today.
Duce H_K_
Hardware configuration: MoBo•Gigabye X99 UD4-CF F24
CPU•<UPD 20.05.2023>Xeon V3 2680 V4 14c28t 35Mb L3
RAM•DDR4 Hynix 2133 CL14 4*16 DualRank Quad channel
HDD•ST1000DM003 Sata3 NCQ
GFX•GT220
PSU•Chieftec GPS750C 80+ Gold after repair
Cooling•Air 2xDeepCool UF120

Internet•200Mbit/s FTTB↓ white dynamic, ERTH, router RB951G-2HnD

Other•Redmi 7A <runs WUProp :-/>

Post by Duce H_K_ »

On a GTX 1070 p11733 gives only 581KPPD. And mid-range PPD of 640K obtaned by +185 GPU; +228 VRAM in my ThunderMaster, the OC program, (result clocks GPU/VRAM 2113/~4100 MHz). No idea how it gets that low.
Tested using Windows 8.1, 373.06 and 419.35 NVIDIA WHQL drivers without CPU assignment
   510 290 819 pts earned in Folding@home project
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I found VRAM clock doesn't help FAH and reducing VRAM by e.g. -500Mhz even helps reduce power usage.

core_22 p11733 uses more power watts, so did you already increase the power limit?

What is your TPF for the GTX 1070 with core_22 p11733?