Dual GPU Question

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JimboPalmer

Re: Dual GPU Question

Post by JimboPalmer »

Click on the Molecule in the lower right of the screen (In the taskbar)

A menu should pop up, you want Advanced Control, in the upper left is Configure

That pulls up a menu where you want Slots
In Slots, Edit the CPU slot, type 12 for the number of CPUs
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

I found that after I posted. Thanks
bruce

Post by bruce »

At one time, FAH did a study to see if BOINC and FAH could be integrated into some common management software. After considerable study, it was determined NOT to release that product from beta testing. The fundamental reason was the fact that there are major differences in the philosophy guiding two different sets of concepts associated with the words "priority" and "due dates" This lead the study to conclude that sharing resources between the two was essentially impossible.

(I can explain in more detail, but it would probably just be boring information.) One such fundamental difference is that BOINC will credit you with completing a WU after it passes the deadline; FAH will dump the results and the credit.

I recommend you decide to dedicate one GPU to FAH and the other to BOINC if that's possible ... consistent with your personal goals ... which means they're not really competing with each other for resources.
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

bruce wrote:At one time, FAH did a study to see if BOINC and FAH could be integrated into some common management software. After considerable study, it was determined NOT to release that product from beta testing. The fundamental reason was the fact that there are major differences in the philosophy guiding two different sets of concepts associated with the words "priority" and "due dates" This lead the study to conclude that sharing resources between the two was essentially impossible.

(I can explain in more detail, but it would probably just be boring information.) One such fundamental difference is that BOINC will credit you with completing a WU after it passes the deadline; FAH will dump the results and the credit.

I recommend you decide to dedicate one GPU to FAH and the other to BOINC if that's possible ... consistent with your personal goals ... which means they're not really competing with each other for resources.

Yeah I noticed that. I understand the logic. Plus from the looks of it, they have more differences than what you describe.
For now, everything works well. This gets my 650 to get more work. If BOINC doesn't use it all, then FAH can have the full gpu.
I am not even tapping the full memory load yet on the cards, so they are more than capable of handling both projects simultaneously.
The GPU's are not ever really "warm" either. 120 and 135F Fans at 36-40% and memory is only 31% at the highest so far with random checking. So still lots of room for projects to do their thing.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I would use GPU-Z to judge how busy the GPUs are

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

You switch GPUs in the lower left, as I recall. (corrected, thanks)
Last edited by JimboPalmer on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

I am using CPUID HWMonitor.
Comparing the values, they are the same, other than GPU load is a few points less.
HW Monitor is much more detailed in what it can show from the GPU card.

And switch location on GPUZ or CPUZ is lower left. (close)