Dual GPU Question

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Greg_BE

Dual GPU Question

Post by Greg_BE »

I have a GTX-1050TI and a GTX-650 I pulled out retirement now that I have a MOBO that can support dual GPU.

FAH only selects the 1050 and when that is busy it pauses. Sometimes the 650 is idle from BOINC or under utilized.
I changed the values in the web client so it knows there are two GPU's (CPU -0, 1050 -1 and I would assume 650 gets -2), but the client only sees the 1050.

Why is this? Why won't it also use the 650?
JimboPalmer

Re: Dual GPU Question

Post by JimboPalmer »

This is just an uninformed guess, as you failed to post the configuration portion of your log, which would allow for more informed guessing. Here is how:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

The F@H client does a through search of your PC when you install the client from scratch. No other time does it do as good a job figuring out what hardware you have.

So if you completely delete the Client software including data. The reinstall it may work correctly. Best of luck!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

When you do that, FAH will configure two slots and they will operate independently. Two WUs will download and upload independently and by default, both will work 24x7. If that produces too much heat, you'll have troubles. If you're folding with your CPU, two of your threads will be allocated to moving data to/from the GPUs.

One will be plugged into your monitor to display the desktop, and if FAH uses enough of the GPU to drag down the speed of screen updates, you'll have to adjust some settings with FAHControl -- but you can configure the two slots independently.
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

I had a look and now it found both GPU's but only uses the 1050.
I have told the program to complete the current work and stop computing.
When the work is done I will uninstall and reinstall and see if it picks up the 650.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You can **try** adding a GPU slot. Depending on what has already been detected, it might start working -- but the clean install recommended above is the best solution, and letting the 1050 FINISH is the best answer. A second slot will either configure for a second GPU or it won't work. A lot depends on how long you're willing to wait for the FINISH to complete.

I think the NV drivers for the 1050 also support the 650 but there's a possibility you'll need to reinstall the drivers, too. That can't hurt.
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

Drivers were updated last night. Studio and normal drivers.
Boinc didn't see the 650 after studio driver update once I installed game drivers and rebooted Boinc saw the 650.

This project lists the 650, but does not use it. Only Cpu and 1050.
bruce

Post by bruce »

My knowledge of boinc is many, many years old. You probably know more about it than I do.

The help I can offer should enable you to run two FAH WUs but that'll only be productive if boinc is not competing with them. What's your objective?
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

The idea is to keep all GPU/CPU busy.
Ive been running BOINC projects for years and years, FAH is a background project to fill in.
The idea was to tap into the GPU's and make them work hard. BOINC projects don't even make the GPU's work that hard.
My system can handle all the data just fine both CPU and GPU. I usually let FAH run at medium strength.
What I figured was that BOINC doesn't always use the 650, so I thought I would get FAH to use it.
But it has just been seeing the 1050.

The web based client control ignored my input to stop when finished with the current tasks and continued on with a new group of tasks. So I have to wait another 3-4 hrs for this current batch to end and manually stop the program.

Once it get this tweaked then BOINC and FAH can work together on my system and process tasks with no problem.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

1) We still have no log, so can make no informed guesses.
2) As far as I can tell you have not taken my uninformed advice to do the very clean install of F@H
3) You will never get BOINC and F@H to share any given resource.
Tsar of all the Rushers
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

JimboPalmer wrote:1) We still have no log, so can make no informed guesses. - I'll get you the long log then.
2) As far as I can tell you have not taken my uninformed advice to do the very clean install of F@H - I am waiting for the tasks to complete. If you looked at the above post I said that overnight it did not stop despite telling it to stop when finished.
3) You will never get BOINC and F@H to share any given resource. - They do currently. CPU and GPU. Seems windows allocates how much each one gets.
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

I will put a txt file on google drive for you to read that is the full log. It is way to big to post here without flooding the page. I will also put a screenshot image there for you to look at of what FAH sees for the system.

Very interesting that the web control does not do its job. I told it last night to finish and stop. It kept going. I went into the program control interface and there I paused the two new CPU tasks and told the GPU to finish the current task and stop working.

You can go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g9Rxb ... GXBo6pIsYu
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

You have 2 CPU slots set to 3 cores each, but only one GPU slot, so it is not finding the second GPU
My guess is you want one CPU slot set for 12 cores
And two GPU slots

Code: Select all

17:04:03:  <!-- Folding Slots -->
17:04:03:  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
17:04:03:  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
17:04:03:  <slot id='2' type='CPU'/>
I confess I never use Web Control once I install F@H, so cannot help much there, I prefer the Advanced Control.
Last edited by JimboPalmer on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar of all the Rushers
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

Did a total uninstall with Revo. Reinstalled. Now running two GPU and 13 cores CPU in addition to BOINC.
Thanks for the idea on reinstalling. Wouldn't have come to that conclusion any time soon.

Yeah Jimbo, it was not seeing the full package for some reason. Full resinstall has it working properly.
And yeah, I think I will ditch web control as well. I am just learning the ins and outs of the FAH programs.

Now FAH sees 2 GPU and runs 13 threads on medium. System has 16 total.
BOINC is happy as well, running both GPU's and running 15 or 16 threads.

So now my system is maxed out in terms of crunching. It's not slowing down my regular browsing, youtube whatever functions either. Finally got my moneys worth out of this system.
Last edited by Greg_BE on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

You will want to set the CPU slot to 12, F@H has issues with 'large' prime numbers.

I am happy it is working better, without the log I would not have guessed you had the slots 'backwards'
Last edited by JimboPalmer on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar of all the Rushers
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

I just had not got around to the log yet. When I am talking to you guys in your afternoon back there in the US its late night here. I wanted to finish up the tasks, hate to burn all the cpu/gpu time and not finish the work, so I was a bit slow in the log.

Anyway..problem solved. Thanks for the help.