GPU Utilization - Capped around 45%

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

thebestplaya

GPU Utilization - Capped around 45%

Post by thebestplaya »

Hi! I recently learned about FaH and felt like it would be a great way to spend my laptop's resources while I'm not directly using it. However, I have noticed something - when I look in the task manager, it seems that the process being run (FahCore_22, specifically) is only using about ~45% of my gpu's maximum capabilities. Is there any way to increase that usage? To me, it's ~50% of the gpu not being utilized, so I may as well have it be dedicated to Fah. I already set the priority of the specific FahCore_22.exe to high (from low), so I'm not very sure what else I can do to try and maximize GPU usage. Would any of you be able to let me know more? Thanks so much!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: GPU Utilization - Capped around 45%

Post by Joe_H »

In a laptop it is possible your GPU is being limited for thermal reasons. Also, if you haven't changed what Task Manager is displaying from the default, then it is not showing the actual GPU utilization. Other GPU monitoring tools such as GPU-Z are more direct at displaying utilization.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: GPU Utilization - Capped around 45%

Post by toTOW »

What do you use to check your GPU utilization ? If it is Windows Task Manager, it is normal : by default, it displays "3D" load which is not an accurate picture of FAH load. You need to select "Compute" instead.

You can also use GPUZ 3rd party tool that is doing very well at showing everything about your GPU.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.