FAH crashed my Windows 10 PC often, but I fixed it

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MattGriscom

FAH crashed my Windows 10 PC often, but I fixed it

Post by MattGriscom »

My most powerful PC crashed too often to contribute much to FAH, until I found a fix: delete the slot that just used the CPU. Before, it crashed often and not always predictably (and, I never found the log that might show cause). After deleting the CPU slot, it's very stable and much more productive.

Here are some specs for the PC that crashed often when the CPU-only slot and the GPU-slot were both enabled:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W
Graphics card: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB GDRR6 256-bit HDMI/DP G-SYNC Turing Architecture Overclocked Graphics Card (RTX 2060 Super Gaming X)

Note that this PC had a very simple, clean, up-to-date Windows 10 install and very little else running on it.

Here is my less powerful PC that FAH NEVER crashed, even sometimes running a CPU slot and a GPU slot simultaneously:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
Graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro 6G 192-bit GDDR6

Hope this helps! Comments appreciated.
Rel25917

Re: FAH crashed my Windows 10 PC often, but I fixed it

Post by Rel25917 »

What kind of cpu cooler? Do you monitor temps? What size and brand power supply? Also define crash, fah software crashed, windows crashed, full computer reset?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

There's no better stability test than FAH ... how good is you cooling and your PSU ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Roadpower

Post by Roadpower »

toTOW wrote:There's no better stability test than FAH ... how good is you cooling and your PSU ?
Triple bingo and I'm not saying that to be a suck up. After my experience with FAH it is the primary system stability package I would run. The first places my mind went was PSU and cooling, especially PSU. A weak PSU will be exposed by FAH. Any weak or failing hardware component will be exposed in fact. This is one of the big reasons why I like FAH beside the project's goal of science, it readily separates the qualified hardware from the unqualified. This is a great thing for those of us who value system stability/reliability above all else.