Vega 20

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Un4Given

Vega 20

Post by Un4Given »

Hey guys, I've done some searching but I'm not finding anything. I've recently installed a Radeon VII (Vega 20) unit into my system. I have gotten work units on this system before, so I know it has worked, and my other systems Vega 10 (Radeon RX 56/64) are getting work units right now, but it seems that WU for this system are no longer coming. While I do work IT I'm definitely no coder, so I don't understand many of the specifics, but is there something so radically different between these two systems that would readily give units to the Vega 56/64 but not to a Radeon VII? One of the reasons I got this card was because it has about 3.3 TF of FP64 capabilities. That is a serious number crunching beast, but it isn't much good if I can't get WU.

Ideas?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Vega 20

Post by Joe_H »

Currently there are more requests for GPU work assignments than the servers can deliver. They are working on increasing that. Until then it may just take a bit of waiting before you will get an assignment assuming you have set up the client correctly. If you have any questions about whether it is set up correctly, post the first couple hundred lines of the log file to show the system info as the client detects the hardware, and the client setup that follows.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Un4Given

Post by Un4Given »

Joe_H wrote:Currently there are more requests for GPU work assignments than the servers can deliver. They are working on increasing that. Until then it may just take a bit of waiting before you will get an assignment assuming you have set up the client correctly. If you have any questions about whether it is set up correctly, post the first couple hundred lines of the log file to show the system info as the client detects the hardware, and the client setup that follows.
Thanks Joe, I do appreciate your input. This isn't a completely new rig that has never received work units. I have received units, so I know it is configured properly. I continue to receive work units for my Vega 10 (RX 56/64) cards. I'm just wondering why this card Vega 20 (Radeon VII) is not receiving new work units as frequently as the others, despite being within the same "family"of cards.

I do fully understand that there is a higher demand for work units. With the project now supporting COVID, people are looking to help. It also doesn't help that SETI recently discontinued their run, so former members (like me) that had much of our resources going to SETI now looking for other worthwhile projects to work.

And ultimately, if there is a big difference in architecture that doesn't allow for Vega 10 WU to run on Vega 20 hardware, and due to the Radeon VII being a small run card, it may just be that configuring WU to run on this series isn't worth the while, and I'll just have to deal with it.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Try to install latest FAHclient 7.6.13
WTS

Post by WTS »

foldy wrote:Try to install latest FAHclient 7.6.13
Excellent idea! I installed the most recent client program, and the overall performance greatly increased. I hope everyone will install the latest client program and see the increased performance.
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

If you post the first 200 lines of your log where it shows your setup, we can see if there is anything wrong with your PC.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The latest client includes a limit to the maximum wait time between WU requests, the changelog is here - viewtopic.php?f=108&t=34466#p326892

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3