Incredibly Low PPD on Laptop

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Gatormaniac

Incredibly Low PPD on Laptop

Post by Gatormaniac »

Recently, I decided to start folding, and am limited to a select few machines so I selected the best one that I own, my MSI laptop.
It's got some pretty amazing all around specs, an RTX 2070 Mobile and an i7 8750H 6 Core CPU.
I have folding power set to Full and both CPU and GPU folding simultaneously. Windows power plan has been set to High performance and I've set my fans to maximum.
Temperatures so far are normal, 90C on the CPU and around 80C on the GPU. However, one thing that I do see out of the ordinary is that the GPU in task manager shows that only 30% to 35% of power is being used, while in all other programs it shows 95% usage.
My PPD is an abysmal 177794 right now. It's been running for more than an hour. Sources on forums say that a 1050 Ti would be singlehandedly outperforming my $2.3K gaming laptop.

How can I fix this?
Thanks.
JimboPalmer

Re: Incredibly Low PPD on Laptop

Post by JimboPalmer »

Gatormaniac wrote:However, one thing that I do see out of the ordinary is that the GPU in task manager shows that only 30% to 35% of power is being used, while in all other programs it shows 95% usage.
A much more honest utility for windows is GPU-Z in the sensors tab
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Gatormaniac wrote:An RTX 2070 Mobile and an i7 8750H 6 Core CPU.
A RTX 2070 mobile should get 6.636 TFLOPS if unthrottled, compared to a GTX 1050 ti at 2.138 TFLOPS so in theory 3 times as impressive.

While a i7 8750H has 12 threads, F@H reserves one to feed data to the GPU, so 11threads.
Sadly F@H uses a package called GROMACS that 'hates 'large' prime numbers and their factors. So 11 and 10 are not good numbers, either.
So if I was you I would choose 9 threads for the CPU.

Beyond that advice, I would need the first 200 lines of your log, here is a link on how to do that.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Did you add a passkey yet? Then you get the FAH bonus points.
https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Task Manager "lies" or actually obscures the truth ... look for the little drop down arrows next to the graphs and try selecting the others ... can't remember which one shows a better graph but iirc one does.

A passkey is required for QRB along with a qualification of 10 completed WUs for each passkey username pairing ... this can make a huge difference (10× or more) over base points for fast systems ... look at the points FAQ one level up from the previous link to points for a full explanation of QRB and how to qualify for it.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Shirty

Post by Shirty »

Just to be clear, I believe Neil-B has nailed it with the passkey suggestion above, those look like non-QRB figures.

However, just one thing to bear in mind regarding laptops is that many models will share a heatsink between the CPU and GPU, with only higher end models generally offering truly distinct cooling for each. Although I suspect yours does have two exhausts, it's worth being aware that on laptops where the cooling resource is shared you can hit a thermal dead-end very quickly when maxing both CPU and GPU.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Not sure how long you have had your laptop but another thing worth doing if you aren't already is regularly cleaning the cooling system - laptops by their nature have very restricted cooling vents/paths and tend to also collect dust/hair/stuff quicker than desktops ... This will minimise any thermal throttling that may occur by maximising cooling.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Gatormaniac

Post by Gatormaniac »

Shirty wrote:Just to be clear, I believe Neil-B has nailed it with the passkey suggestion above, those look like non-QRB figures.
Neil-B wrote: A passkey is required for QRB along with a qualification of 10 completed WUs for each passkey username pairing ... this can make a huge difference (10× or more) over base points for fast systems ... look at the points FAQ one level up from the previous link to points for a full explanation of QRB and how to qualify for it.

Ahah.... yeah I see. I've created a passkey for my account and will test it ASAP.
I see you mention multiple "passkey username pairings"? I looked online for more stuff about Passkeys (https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/) and scrolling all the way down there is a Note saying that there is no benefit to using multiple passkeys and there's even disadvantages. Just wanted to know how that would work.
Shirty wrote:However, just one thing to bear in mind regarding laptops is that many models will share a heatsink between the CPU and GPU, with only higher end models generally offering truly distinct cooling for each. Although I suspect yours does have two exhausts, it's worth being aware that on laptops where the cooling resource is shared you can hit a thermal dead-end very quickly when maxing both CPU and GPU.
Neil-B wrote:Not sure how long you have had your laptop but another thing worth doing if you aren't already is regularly cleaning the cooling system - laptops by their nature have very restricted cooling vents/paths and tend to also collect dust/hair/stuff quicker than desktops ... This will minimise any thermal throttling that may occur by maximising cooling.
AFAIK my laptop has two seperate cooling systems for each of the component; MSI decided to dedicate a fan for the CPU with 3 heatpipes and another 2 fans for 3 heatpipes for the GPU (and an extra heatpipe for the VRAM). There is one shared heatpipe which connects the two components together but theres a fan in between so... not sure if thats a problem :e?:

It's not really new, it's about a year old now. I had a few problems with it before concerning a hinge a month or two ago and sent it back to MSI where I would assume they took it apart and cleaned it out before working on it. That said, I haven't seen any thermal issues out of the ordinary, but will definitely take it apart later to take a look at it.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Each username and passkey pair needs to complete 10 WUs to start receiving the bonus points. The same passkey can be used with different usernames. In addition, there used to be the option to search just by passkey, that may be restored in the future. That option would allow finding all points and the WU total associated with that passkey.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Gatormaniac

Post by Gatormaniac »

Joe_H wrote:Each username and passkey pair needs to complete 10 WUs to start receiving the bonus points. The same passkey can be used with different usernames. In addition, there used to be the option to search just by passkey, that may be restored in the future. That option would allow finding all points and the WU total associated with that passkey.
So that wouldn't really be a benefit if I'm only folding with one machine under one passkey/username pair, right?
aetch

Post by aetch »

You're perfectly fine to just be using one machine. Work units are the individual tasks your computer is assigned to fold and receive the points for.

I folded with a laptop for a period, here's some of the things I did with it:-
Lifted it up to expose the fan intakes so the airflow was less impeded.
Installed MSI Afterburner to monitor the graphics card and to allow manual control of the cooling fans (fans don't always spin up when the graphics card reaches temperature, they can throttle the card back instead)
In task manager for the GPU individual graphs click the heading in the top left corner to get the drop-down, you're looking to change it to Cuda, failing that you're looking for Compute_0

I didn't know you had to complete a minimum number of work unit before getting bonuses.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Gatormaniac wrote:So that wouldn't really be a benefit if I'm only folding with one machine under one passkey/username pair, right?
That's right. Some with more than one machine will have separate usernames to track the different contributions. Most with more than one just use the same username and passkey.
aetch wrote:I didn't know you had to complete a minimum number of work unit before getting bonuses.
That part is explained in the Points FAQ - https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/, the other link was the FAQ for getting a passkey.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3