Which driver to use

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

silverpulser

Which driver to use

Post by silverpulser »

I have a GTX 1650 Super (1280 cuda cores). Which driver should I use for the best results; the Studio driver or the Game Ready driver? At the moment I am using the most recent Game Ready driver without issue.

Shaun
Last edited by silverpulser on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimboPalmer

Re: Which driver top use

Post by JimboPalmer »

Two answers:

Pragmatic: F@H only uses the OpenCL code in any driver, and Nvidia has not updated theirs in at least 5 years. It is written on top of CUDA code which they do update some times, so new drivers can improve if CUDA does.

My Answer: I like nice shiney new bug better than old dull bugs, so I update each time the Game Ready Driver suggests a new one is available.

In the Nvidia Control panel in 3D controls I set Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance.

In MSI After burner I set my fan to keep the temp under 82, usually about 80% to 85%
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Re: Which driver top use

Post by bruce »

The differences between Fermi/kepler/...Turing. are correspond to major revisions of CUDA: 2.x, 3.x ... 7.x (There also are significant hardware changes but let's put that aside for the moment.). Assuming FAHCore_22 moves forward with CUDA support, it will be interesting to see what those simultaneous changes will bring to FAH.