Adjusting time displayed in log to my local time?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Adjusting time displayed in log to my local time?

Postby lectrocrew » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Machine = HP Compaq 6715b notebook, Turion 64x2 Dual Core 2Ghz, Vista Business X64, 4Gb PC2 6400, FAH SMP v7.1.52
I had this same issue when I was using v7.1.24 - The time displayed in the log file is GMT, 5 hours different than my local time, CST (DST) USA. Is this a setting I should have made during installation or is there a way to adjust this.
Example of log file time vs local time screen shot is here. (note; Verbosity is set to '1', and checkpointing frequency is set to '30 min' so accuracy is only within that parameter).
lectrocrew

Re: Adjusting time displayed in log to my local time?

Postby bruce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:33 pm

There is no setting for local time. All entries in the log are in GMP/UTC and the client is simply reporting those times. Being an international project, this has always been true for FAH's logs and FAH's clients.

The servers at Stanford are run in accordance with the policy at the University policy, not FAH's policy with clocks set to Stanford's local time. I suppose that if FAH were able to convert all data reported on their web pages to UTC, they would (and many already show both) but that wouldn't help you get anything in CDT or CST, nor would we be able to give you feedback if you posted data in CST/CDT because my local time wouldn't match your local time. At least with UTC as a standard, I know when something happened. It's no different than when a pilot steps into the cockpit and sets his watch to UTC no matter what the local time is.
bruce

Postby k1wi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:46 am

If you use Firefox install Foxclocks, I find that a really good way of keeping track of UTC :)
k1wi

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:43 am

k1wi wrote:If you use Firefox install Foxclocks, I find that a really good way of keeping track of UTC :)

And for those who prefer as little GUI overhead as possible on their screen, there is a GMT/UTC Clock extension for Chrome. 8-)
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby lectrocrew » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 am

bruce wrote:There is no setting for local time. All entries in the log are in GMP/UTC and the client is simply reporting those times. Being an international project, this has always been true for FAH's logs and FAH's clients.

The servers at Stanford are run in accordance with the policy at the University policy, not FAH's policy with clocks set to Stanford's local time. I suppose that if FAH were able to convert all data reported on their web pages to UTC, they would (and many already show both) but that wouldn't help you get anything in CDT or CST, nor would we be able to give you feedback if you posted data in CST/CDT because my local time wouldn't match your local time. At least with UTC as a standard, I know when something happened. It's no different than when a pilot steps into the cockpit and sets his watch to UTC no matter what the local time is.

I understand the reason now. I was just checking to see if there was a setting I overlooked. It's not causing any problem other than working my old senile brain somewhat, but it's folding fine so I'm good here. Thanks for the explanation/clarification bruce! :D
Last edited by lectrocrew on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
lectrocrew

Postby lectrocrew » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 am

k1wi wrote:If you use Firefox install Foxclocks, I find that a really good way of keeping track of UTC :)

Got it. Thanks k1wi! :)
Last edited by lectrocrew on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
lectrocrew

Postby lectrocrew » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:39 am

Jesse_V wrote:

And for those who prefer as little GUI overhead as possible on their screen, there is a GMT/UTC Clock extension for Chrome. 8-)

I don't use Chrome on this machine but I'm adding another machine to FAH tommorrow and may try Chrome on it with the GMT/UTC Clock extension. Thanks Jesse_V! :wink:
lectrocrew

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux