New NVidia 301.24 Beta drivers released today

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

petercr_OCAU
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3, 2600k (@4.8GHz), 2x GTX460, Running Win7 64-bit

Re: New NVidia 301.24 Beta drivers released today

Post by petercr_OCAU »

Also now released 301.34 but unless you've got a 600-series, you need to use a modded inf
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Just a reminder to all, we don't recommend beta drivers, or modded INFs, unless they are known to fix a specific issue (and not cause any additional problems). You're more than welcome to test anything you like, and report back the results. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jimboc
Hardware configuration: Corsair Obsidian 750D Windows Airflow Edition

Intel Core i9 Extreme 7980XE @ 2.6 GHz (18 cores, 36 threads)

64 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 RAM

2x Nvidia Titan RTX (NVLink Enabled) (Nvidia 526.98 Studio Driver)

Asus Rampage VI APEX (BIOS 1401)(Intel X299 Chipset)

Corsair AX1600i Titanium Plus Power Supply

Corsair Neutron NX500 800GB SSD (System Drive)

Seagate SkyHawk 10 TB , 256 MB Cache (Data Drive)

Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus Pure Edition

Dell UP3218K and Dell U2711

Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 64 Bit (Version 22H2)

Post by Jimboc »

Jimboc wrote:Hi bruce,

Thanks for posting your results of using the new beta drivers. It is great to learn that you, JimF and killabee have now resolved the issue of WUs not completing when the power saving function of Windows shuts your monitor down.

It’s unfortunate that these drivers are now causing a crash for you. Please let us know if you find a resolution.

I am going to wait until these beta drivers are WHQL approved before upgrading from 296.10. I usually wouldn’t wait (I have no fear of beta drivers, I have used them successfully many times before) but since there is a crashing issue, I will wait.

Thanks again for sharing. :)
Jimboc
Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on this issue in order to mark it as resolved. Nvidia resolved this issue in driver version 301.24 Beta and later. I am using 301.42 WHQL and everything is working great.

I wish to point out that I needed to post about this issue twice (Post 1 and Post 2) . I did this since I felt that it was not receiving the kind of attention similar bugs would receive. However, it was worth it and the issue is resolved.

If you don’t think I acted enough on this, the reason I did not post further was due to a post in this thread mentioning it was resolved in driver 301.24. I was going to Private Message the Nvidia Community representative, ManuelG as well as JOSH@NVIDIA but I didn’t need to.

I posted in the 301.42 driver feedback thread to express my gratitude that this issue was resolved in a timely manner (at least what I consider timely given all of the other priorities they must be focusing on).

If you have any other questions, please create a post in this thread. Thank you. :)

Jimboc
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Well, as one of the lazy FAH donors who don't spend the time following up with nvidia on their driver bugs, I offer a sincere Thank You to Jimboc for following this through to resolution for all of us.
rechardanny88

Post by rechardanny88 »

Well still I am not using such kind of driver for my Computer because I am using Linux system where OS does not need such driver. But I have question that when I am going to use windows as OS then does I need such driver.? Any kind of reply will be appreciate.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, rechardanny88

Folding@home does not currently work in native linux. There has long been speculation that it might someday but there's no official word either way. Presently there's 3rd party support for wine. See viewforum.php?f=54

Whether it's offically supported or not you will certainly need a driver to provide the API that interfaces with the FahCore supplied by Stanford.

Traditionally, Stanford pushes state-of-the-art features. This means two things (A) Their development efforts use new features soon after the GPU manufacturer and the driver writer release them, and (B) Linux drivers which traditionally are delayed somewhat behing those written by the vendors may limit what can be done with the latest hardware.

FAH uses many of the same features designed explicitly for gamers. Most of those who relish the latest innovations in game technology are most likely to be Windows users. Those who sell games and hardware for them tend to target higher performance Windows machines and therefore FAH's GPU support is aimed at the same markets.

On the other hand, hardware with strongest multi=processor CPUs often tend to run Linux, where special drivers are not needed so there's more emphasis on SMP for Linux.

That's not to say that FAH will neglect either platform, but they'll put the majority of their development efforts where they'll get the biggest payoff.