I suppose that I should start here.

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

aoeu

I suppose that I should start here.

Post by aoeu »

My addition of another video card landed in disaster. Both were NVidia but the older one didn't work with my other paid for program.

It has been removed and been replaced by an identical video card. As I go forward is there a way to disambiguate between the one making my game work and the other one. I would like to be able to turn off the one I'm not using.
bruce

Re: I suppose that I should start here.

Post by bruce »

When you have more than one supported GPU, FAH can specify which GPU to use. In V6 you specify -gpu N as a command line parameter. In V7 you set gpu-index to N.

It's not always easy to determine N for which GPU but it's pretty certain that they're 0 and 1 or they're 1 and 0. Check with a GPU monitoring program to see which one is working.
aoeu

Post by aoeu »

Experimentation is likely to be the order of the day. What I appear to face is two GPU instances in my Start bar and disambiguating them is the question. The assumption is that both are folding and I want to turn off the one that the game and primary monitor are using.
aoeu

Post by aoeu »

The first comment in this thread is ambiguous. I now have two Evga GTS450s.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

aoeu wrote:Experimentation is likely to be the order of the day. What I appear to face is two GPU instances in my Start bar and disambiguating them is the question. The assumption is that both are folding and I want to turn off the one that the game and primary monitor are using.
I'd recommend that you use V7. I don't have a dual-GPU setup, but from what I hear it makes configuration much easier than with v6, but there are still a few glitches here and there that will be taken care of in time. It consolidates management into one single GUI, making control of your setup much simpler. Download and links to useful help sites are on the front page of folding.stanford.edu
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
aoeu

Post by aoeu »

Thank you. Will check it out.

Close this thread.