Nvidia GT 240 drivers windows 7 update problem

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Walter

Re: Nvidia GT 240 drivers windows 7 update problem

Post by Walter »

The sound I lost was from the headphone and speaker jacks. This is the "onboard" sound and comes from the sound chips built into the motherboard. The bios tries to detect the presence of a sound card. If it finds one (or something it thinks is one) it turns off the onboard sound chip. This is what happened when I put in two video cards. I don't use the HMDI or DVI connections for my monitor so I don't know if I had sound through them. I use the VGA connector. The solution was to change the bios setting for onboard sound from "auto" (as in auto detect) to "enable." After that change I have sound via my speakers and headphones. I should point out that this was not a problem between Radeon and Geforce cards. I tried to use Geforce GT220 and GT240 together and got the same problem. I do not know why two video cards make the bios think it has detected a sound card, but at least I found a solution to my problem.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
JimF

Post by JimF »

FWIW, I am now folding on two GT 240s, one a display card and the other non-display, with very little lag. I have even edited videos, which normally shows up any shortcomings, without a problem. It may just be that work units (P10501 and P10504) are easy. But someone suggested that the just-released drivers (310.70) improved desktop performance, so I installed those. (If you run multiple cards, it is always a good idea to do a full uninstall from Control Panel first, then reboot and remove the leftovers with Driver Fusion.)
JimF

Post by JimF »

Now that we are on the subject, we found out a couple of years ago that if you want to fold on both a display and non-display card, it works best if they are matched (at least in the type and number of cores). viewtopic.php?f=67&t=21895&p=218610#p218603

That works best for Fermi cards, and it seems that it holds true for non-Fermi cards too.
It will be interesting to see if you can pair Fermi and Kepler, but I probably won't be the first to try it.