GTX 690 failure while folding

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

kingchris

GTX 690 failure while folding

Post by kingchris »

hi guys, new to folding and getting into it in a big way, im running 3 rigs, with my new gaming rig the best one, its running a gtx690 and 3770k win7 pro, all stock and water cooled, running all the latest updates and drivers. started folding and was running good temps with no issues, cpu <60 c and gpu <40 c was very happy, the updated to new v7 and got the gpus working (when i found out about moving the slide bar across), but that then started the problem im having firstly it started with the driver crashing and loosing the item i was folding, it would just reload the next project and start again, i started turning the res down to min and that fixed it for a few projects, however now the report in FAH control states GPU FAILURE and can only restart them if i quit the program and restart it, i have turned down the cpu core usage and that hasnt helped even with the res turnrd down to min. playing games (BF3) i have no issue and still pull good FPS while playing.. any ideas would help
cheers chris!
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: GTX 690 failure while folding

Post by P5-133XL »

From your description you are GPU folding while gaming. Is that correct? Try pausing the GPU slot (right click on the GPU slot in Advanced control) before gaming and unpausing afterwards. Gaming and folding simultaneously is problematic.
kingchris

Re: GTX 690 failure while folding

Post by kingchris »

i was playing without folding, i think i may have come across the problem, the case its mounted in has 2 computers in a full tower case (back to back) and i have used pci risers, it appiers that the one on the 690 is faulty and causing resistance between the connection, this in turn was making it fail, so ordered some new ones, and going to wait till the chimp challange is finished then its strip down time and fix it to get folding again!

thank you anyway!
cheers chris