GPU_MEMTEST_ERROR - MemtestG80

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Patrick13

GPU_MEMTEST_ERROR - MemtestG80

Post by Patrick13 »

I've folded in the past without a problem for weeks and then I took I break during the summer because my room would get too hot while folding. After a few failed attempts at folding again using my same desktop I gave up. Every time I failed setting up FAH my CPU would be crunching away WU's but I would be left with memtest errors from my GPU. Last night I tried setting everything up again because I recently picked up a 9600gt to work with my gtx 570/i7 2600k and the new website design caught my eye. There was also a new GPU memory testing tool linked from simtk (MemtestG80). The readme file wrote that a portion of a GPU's memory is dedicated to the operating system currently running but a test should be done on the largest portion of available memory. So for the sake of round numbers I used 1/2 of my 1gb memory, 512mb, and am now about 21k/50k through the memory testing with ZERO errors. I read around these forums before posting this but many threads were pretty dated; I did find that my fermi gpu may be getting non-fermi meant WU's though. I have no idea how to check this. Are there ways of forcing my GPU to crunch a test WU that is supposed to work with a fermi GPU?

In the mean time I'll continue with this MemtestG80 test and report my results. I also just discovered I'm not on the latest 320.18 drivers though. I'll update those once my Memtest is done.
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Re: GPU_MEMTEST_ERROR - MemtestG80

Post by Napoleon »

Patrick13 wrote:I did find that my fermi gpu may be getting non-fermi meant WU's though. I have no idea how to check this. Are there ways of forcing my GPU to crunch a test WU that is supposed to work with a fermi GPU?
Perhaps the GPU indices are mixed up - viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=61&t=24125#p241145? Note that you don't usually have to edit the config.xml file manually, you can adjust the values in FahControl -> Configure -> Slots as well. That's the preferred method, in order to avoid syntax errors in the config.xml file.
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display