ERROR:exception: Bad platformId size.

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: ERROR:exception: Bad platformId size.

Post by 7im »

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

I tried compiling LuxMark (it looks like only the source code is available) but it gave an error about OpenCL not being installed. I had thought I had it but maybe not. When I tried to install CUDA (is that's what required to get OpenCL to work?) it gave an error. The install log says:

Code: Select all

Using more to view the EULA.
Unsupported compiler: 4.7.3
Missing required library libglut.so

===========
= Summary =
===========

Driver:   Not Selected
Toolkit:  Installation Failed. Using unsupported Compiler.
Samples:  Installation Failed. Missing required libraries.

Logfile is /tmp/cuda_install_7306.log
I'm not installing the driver because I already have nvidia-current installed from the repositories.

How do I get my compiler supported? And what do I do to install whatever brings libglut.so (or the compiler unsupported only because it does not have libglut.so)? It's odd because I ran "locate libglut" and I got this:

Code: Select all

$ locate libglut
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglut.a
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglut.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglut.so.3
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglut.so.3.9.0
EDIT: I created a symlink as /lib/libglut.so that points to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglut.so and now the missing library error is resolved, but it's still telling my my compiler is unsupported.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

CUDA and OpenCL are two different GPGPU APIs/libraries.

For GLUT, try
sudo apt-get install libglew-dev freeglut3-dev
The libglew-dev package might not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt to include it. It might help. I use Glut/Glew for my OpenGL projects in C++. FAHViewer uses them too.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You'd better be in close communications with the folks at Bumblebee.

FAH is very closely tied to drivers and to APIs such as CUDA and OpenCL. If there's something that happens to direct OpenCL to the wrong set of video drivers or if it's simply not supported, there's really nobody that can fix it except them. That's what happened with WINE when Windows API calls didn't make it through the interface to the native Linux drivers. A 3rd party developer had to develop a shell that redirected those calls to the appropriate addresses in the native drivers. It might be the same sort of thing -- or it might not be.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

From what I'm reading online, it seems like Bumblebee does allow CUDA and OpenCL by passing the --no-xorg option to optirun.